Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 November 2009
My ideal web book. I have always found it difficult to understand and appreciate the web 'as a whole', since it encompasses many and varied technologies such as http, SMTP, Java, HTML, web servers, Struts, AJAX, application frameworks... Too often to understand one technology in the context of the web requires knowledge of other areas to a good level, and even though I come from a technical IT background, I found it easy to get lost. I know a smattering of HTML, I understand what XML can do, I've programmed in Java, but how do they all fit together on the web? Never really got it, until I dipped into this book.

This book occupies the middle ground between management-level waffle and geek-level technical details, with historical background for context and interest, together with good technical explanations of the main web technologies - why they arose, how they are used, the current state of the art, and examples (often with code) of how they are actually used. You won't become an Ajax or Ruby programmer with this book, but you'll have a better idea than most of what they and other web technologies can do.

Excellent. And readable!
on 22 December 2013
I cannot recommend this book enough if you're at all interested in the web and/or web applications. It's well written and packed with useful information and is probably one of the best technical books I've read. The only minor downside is that some of the information is a bit out of date (i.e. it discuss Struts, not Struts2), I hope they'll bring out a newer edition to address this.
on 14 September 2015
Excellent book, very good condition.
Thanks.