on 15 February 2016
I was about to embark on weaning my second child and thought I would brush up on what was required. Three years earlier with my eldest I had the Anabel Karmel and Babu Led Weaning books and although debate then seemed polarised I ended up muddling along with them, not following any particular plan, making food and also falling back on bought baby food items. I wish that I had this book then. It's absolutely superb, even for someone such as myself who had been through it once before and so wasn't a total novice. The information is clear, well reasoned and referenced and the tone is spot on, you get the facts, it's practical and even handed. I also bought the accompanying cook book which has been another revelation. I would go so far as to say that if there was one free book to be handed out when you have a child it should be this.
on 21 October 2015
Excellent book. I love how it provides details of both traditional and baby led weaning and then a method for combining both. Easy to read and follow. Very interesting and helpful. Best baby weaning book I've read so far. I have chosen the balanced approach and feel more relaxed and flexible as a result of reading this book. Good clear instructions for cooking batches of fruit and veg and nice recipes for all the family too. I would highly recommend.
on 27 October 2016
Litany of common sense narrative to weaning. Good plans from 4 months plus to help guide you on your way and no pushy "feed with a spoon" / "baby led" guilt trips! Nice and balanced approach and some clever ideas.
on 15 October 2017
A great, well-balanced approach to what can seem a very overwhelming stage. There's so much to read on the subject of weaning and I felt this gave a great overview of the main methods. Easy to read, even for a sleep-deprived mum.
on 4 October 2016
Having been on weaning courses and bought LOTS of books, this was the one that I found to be the most useful. Straightforward and easy to take tips from. Great planners. I liked the fact that it wasn't biased towards either purees or BLW. Good balance. Well-researched and useful.
on 21 March 2013
I LOVE this book. I've done a lot of reading about weaning however, eventually have just pretty much winged it and taken cues from my twins rather than sticking to anyone's particular plan. This book is full of great info and really reassures you that you don't have to get into the purees vs baby-led debate and that it is possible to meet in the middle so that your baby can pretty much get the best from both worlds. I really like the information regarding nutrition etc and the plans for different stages of weaning are useful too.
on 16 August 2016
This book is fantastic, I'd recommend it to any new parent who is looking at weaning their baby - the book caters for the traditional method of spoon-feeding and also baby-led weaning and then has a chapter on combining the two which was ideal for me. It is full ofor sensible, factual advice and has been invaluable to me as someone quite daunted by the whole weaning thing!
on 28 November 2016
This book takes a balanced look at traditional and baby led weaning methods whilst providing factual information regarding the nutritional requirements of babies at various ages. I trusted this book due to it being written by a nutritionist rather than many of the other books where I was left wondering what the Author's evidence base was for their opinion. The book doesn't give recipe suggestions but it is a must read if you are unsure of which weaning method to go with, it also suggests how to combine both methods.
on 8 November 2015
This is by far the best book I've read on weaning. Simple yet comprehensive. All weaning styles explained (baby lead, spoon etc) and taken into consideration. Also great recipes with handy plans that explain how much food and how much milk your baby needs at each stage of weaning.
on 10 January 2015
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. I bought a ton of weaning books and wish I'd only bothered with this one - it has everything you need to get started and isn't too prescriptive so it helps you find your own way. It gave me both knowledge and confidence and inspired me to use my common sense and trust my baby. Rana Conway encourages you to think for yourself and make choices rather than setting out a single 'right way' to do it. The quotes from other parents are also helpful. The accompanying recipe book is also brilliant.