Customer reviews

on 13 January 2014
Jo-Anne McArthur takes us on a photographic journey through some of the ways in which we identify animals, offering written accompaniment to help give perspective to the situation of those featuring in the book. From McArthur's travels around the world we begin to see a pattern of exploitation originating from zoos and circuses to fur and meat farms, and from this we are given the opportunity to see some of the animals that have had the rare good fortune to have found sanctuary.

I think the greatest achievement of this book is not the insight which we are given into their situation, but the manner in which we become curious as to who these animals actually are? What life would they have led if it wasn't for the duress of humanity?
on 9 December 2016
Profound and deeply sad. Until we have the courage to bare witness to the suffering of others we will never change our ways. Opens your eyes.
on 20 March 2015
I bought, for me and my friends, three copies of this beautiful, heartbreaking album. A door opening into the world of misery and pain We, Humans have created and continue to maintain in such a barbaric and meaningless way. A painful reality, unworthy of the century we are living in, and the grade of civilisation we (pretend to have) achieved.
All my admiration and deep respect for Jo-Anne's and ALF's great work!
on 17 August 2014