on 3 January 1999
I use Gary Provost's 100 WAYS as the textbook in my Internet writing course (Personal Writing) for Lansing Community College. Students tell me, and I agree, that the organization of the book, its conversational tone, its concrete examples, and its unintimidating size and appearance are all features that make it a book they LOVE to read and will keep. It doesn't feel, look, or read like a textbook.
Gary Provost's honesty about his own dislike for starting a writing assignment is disarming and important for students to see. Provost also makes readers comfortable with him when he admits the enormous risk inherent in writing a book about writing: He knows there must be thousands of readers just waiting to find an error in his work and to take two points off with a sharp red pencil!
Finally, Provost's section on cliches is a delight. The entire section, which warns readers to avoid cliches, is written in a series of -- what else? -- cliches. Nice touch, and funnier than a crutch (oops)!
Gary Provost is an artist, as are all good writers. The artist in Provost succeeds delightfully in this little book. 100 WAYS is Provost's Picasso-like sketch of Don Quixote with the windmill waiting in the distance to be overcome.
Buy this book, use it, enjoy it, learn from it, teach with it, keep it.
Dale M. Herder, Ph.D. Professor of English and Vice President Emeritus Lansing Community College Lansing, Michigan
on 29 October 2001
I'm a bit tired of all the "100 Ways to Improve Your....." books. The information they contain may be valuable but can you ever remember what you've read? In my case the answer is a big fat no! I can remember maybe 5% of the advice but the rest just seems to be forgotten although it seemed interesting and valuable at the time of reading.
Now you might ask yourself: "Why on Earth did he give it 4 stars then?". The answer is simple. 100 Ways to Improve Your Writing is a great reference book. Whenever your stuck, suffering from writer's block or having trouble with the lead of your copy, simply check the book. In many cases it can help you overcome whatever problem you might have with your copy.
I read the book from cover to cover. And I found it rather interesting. But as I said, I can never remember all the advice. So if you'r low on time, don't bother reading the book thoroughly. Skim it and get an overall idea of what it's about. Maybe just read the index.. And then use it largely when writing.
on 27 March 2003
100 Ways to Improve Your Writing contains a lot of great advice. However the structure of the book is terribly boring. Maybe it's just me. But I just don't fall for the American way of saying "If you follow these 100 things, you will make a million dollars in a week". And I think that's what the book is trying to do.
As a junior advertising copywriter I have tried to use the book as a reference guide. But it's old-fashioned. The advice are so generic that you cannot really figure out where to implement them. And the book is graphically unattractive.
I've read it one time. And I think it's supporting a table somewhere in my house at the moment. At least it can be used for one thing.
on 12 July 2001
Gary Provost has taken his own advice when writing this book, it is well presented, comprehensive and full of useful examples. I have found it a great assistance in writing business presentations, reviews, articles and much more.
on 2 April 2015