Customer reviews

Size: X-Large|Colour: Olive|Change

on 14 December 2015
This jacket is just as good as all the previous reviews stated. It's very warm and you can comfortably go out in the British winter with just a t-shirt underneath it. The pockets are generous and plentiful and it looks smart.

The sizing I did find, like many other reviewers, to be moderately on the large size so it is definitely worth bearing that in mind. Normally I would take a large but I opted for medium and it fits well.

I should mention that this jacket did take just over three weeks to arrive from Ireland which wasn't ideal but it was still delivered within the delivery estimate I had been given on ordering and the postage was free for what is quite a heavy coat so while I have no complaint about it, it is worth bearing in mind.

All in all, this jacket is superior in functionality to the the similar branded ones available on the high street and amazingly is less than a third of the price! You also get the added bonus of not having coughed up a small fortune to walk down the street advertising an inferior brand name on your chest! Top class. Can't recommend it enough.
on 14 March 2017
Ordered this jacket for cold, wet, long dog walks.
First of all the sizing. I order a medium as others had said it was on the large size, glad I did as a large would have been huge.
Its water proof and wind proof, the hood keeps you dry and doesn't get blown off in gale force winds, although seems overly complicated. The pockets are many and big enough to carry a small family in comfort.
My only real moan about the coat is, it's not nearly as warm as I would have liked.
on 18 June 2016
I think for me the next size down might have been a better fit, but saying that it has room for extra layers if needed. Awesome waterproofing.
on 23 March 2017
Good solid cold/wet weather gear. Good fleece lining. Really warm and rain proof. Sizes are pretty accurate too.Nice big pockets.
on 10 May 2013
I ordered this MilTec jacket because the Helikon ECWCS in Olive colour have been out of stock for some time and the EU division of Helikon told me there would be no more available until July or August (it's currently May). I need a new jacket before then as I am off to the Scottish highlands soon.

On paper the Helikon is better (more waterproof by HH measurement, and more breathable) and I have no idea as to how that works out in real life because I don't have the more expensive Helikon equivalent!

What I can say is the quality of this jacket far surpasses what I expected for the price. As such, it's excellent value.

The Helikon doesn't come with a fleece, but this MilTec did. It's a good quality and very warm and comfortable fleece too - but wearing it on it's own makes me want to say "Geet orf moy land!!!". This MilTec is very waterproof in practice. I cannot imagine it leaking unless swimming in it.

The fleece fits in nicely to the jacket by internal zips on each side and some very resilient poppers in the sleeves and around the neck area.

I have a large chest (about 48") so ordered the XL and this is probably a little too big.

It is warm, even without the fleece. It has map pockets in the jacket lining like the Helikon and this was a big reason for me wanting the Helikon in the first place. Easy access to a waterproof OS map in all weather condition without opening a backpack in a downpour is necessary for my highland treks.

My only quibbles are the Helikon appears to have bigger and better front pockets with a top-opening, whereas these are angled and therefore hold less. They are not really pockets in the jacket itself but pass-through to the fleece pockets, or whatever you are wearing underneath. There are no internal pockets in the jacket either. But this is insignifcant since there are decent pockets on the upper sleeves and, if you are practical, the pass-through pockets will pass-through to real pockets of what you wear underneath.

The hood is good, peaked and practical with drawstring control and closes in nicely around the face when required.

In summary, an excellent value jacket. Maybe there is better, but at signifcantly more expense. I've never had a jacket of this quality for such a reasonable price before.
on 2 October 2012
This jacket is so warm with or without the fleece fitted. pockets are very large and useful and the pocket on the arm is great for keeping a mobile phone. Hood will keep the elements out and if you fold it over around your neck it is high enough to keep the wind out of your neck and ears to keep body heat in.
Two nice large poachers pockets tucked in the side which are accessible without having to undo the chest zip and let the heat out.

Not much I would do to improve it other than perhaps make a longer version which would be long enough to reach the tops of your legs for extreme weather conditions but if you wear a good set of windproof trousers they will do the trick. I would rate this jacket much higher than many expensive designer mountain walking jackets available.
on 20 August 2013
Let's start with the supplier - I haven't contacted them directly, but they get very good reviews elsewhere and my coat arrived in record quick time, so I would certainly use them again.

The size - I did as instructed and went for a size smaller. I wasn't sure whether that meant go down an inch or so on your chest size or go for a coat size smaller than than you would expect to. I opted for the former and think I got it right. I'm 5'10", 13.5-14 stone and have a 43" chest. I bought a Large and the coat does come up big on the body, especially when you remove the fleece lining, but I prefer it that way anyway. The arms are about an inch too long for me but that's hardly an issue. The one thing I would say about sizing though, is that whilst I think I got the body size right, I find the coat just a little tight across the back and tops of the arms when you cross the arms over the front of the body. Again though, this is not anything that spoils the overall fit.

The vents under the arms run most of the way down the arm, which is great for me as I tend to get quite stuffy when wrapped up.

The zip is quite industrial and clunky - it can take a couple of goes at getting the zip in, but when it's up and covered you know there's no cold or wet going to get in that way.

My main issue with the coat is regarding the hood. I ummed and arred about this or the Helikon equivalent. Same price, looked identical apart from the hood. I assumed with the Mil-Tec version the hood would be detachable but it isn't, meaning if you don't wear it you either have it lolloping around or you can fold it in on itself and down the back of the neck. This feels a bit stuffy but once you're used to it it's fine and will offer an extra layer against the cold and the wind.

Looks wise I think it's acceptable for all occasions. OK, if you're the kind how wears a dinner jacket it might not work, but other than that it's smart enough not to be frowned upon in posh circumstances.

I haven't used it in all weather conditions yet, but it certainly looks and feel up for the job and I look forward to putting it to the test. I currently give the coat 4.5 stars, losing a half just because of my personal preferences rather than any genuine gripe, and I would imagine after the cold and wet season I'll review it up to 5 stars.

It's a quality jacket and actually I wouldn't have been surprised to find it costing a bit more. Pleased with my purchase.

**Updated the following May**

I have not felt the cold in this coat, and I have not got wet. I have found the coat to be perhaps a little too bulky, but that's only to be expected. Other than the sizing issue above, it would be unfair to fault this coat, especially for the money. Updated to 5 stars!
on 20 April 2013
Love this coat. Originally I ordered this in black. Unfortunately, when it arrived I could have got someone else in there with me too and I had to return it to the seller (at my own cost = £8.36) and order the next size down. Even then, there is plenty of room in the coat. So beware.

The coat itself is great. Best I've had. I wear it on my motorbike and it's warmer than my leather and very good at keeping the wind out too.
It's also good in the rain, although it hasn't been in torrential rain for any length of time yet, I am confident it will cope.
It has a good high collar against the wind and an adequate hood too.
There are plenty of pockets, I have never run out of space yet. I have found the poacher pockets to be the most useful, but it's sometimes difficult to find a small thing in amongst the masses of stuff you can get in there, so be organized.

I have had to stand out in all weathers watching my little boy play rugby, it gets bloody cold on the sidelines for 2 hours at a time. This coat has kept me warm through it all and keeps out the biting wind (wish I'd had it at the beginning of the year).
The fleece (detachable) is very effective, but not very pretty to wear on it's own. But that's OK 'cos I bought this to do everything at once.
All in all, I know I can grab my bug out bag, put on my coat and be pretty much able to go anywhere and tackle anything. So job done.
on 13 August 2014
Great jacket dose as described on the label Exelent product, very warm with the acomponing fleece , I tried it out in one of the worst storms I've ever been out in, it's like having your very own personal shelter, with the trousers its brilliant, other people were running for shelter and I could sit in a storm all day and it would not bother me at all, it actually makes going out more fun its that good, but just make sure you put the trousers over the top of your boots if you have them as well, it's for obvious reasons, because if you don't and it's raining as heavy as it was, they will just fill up with water, ha ha we live and learn as they say!
on 11 December 2013
Just what I need for the winter and with the removable fleece ideal for those April showers.Well made and robust, wish I had this a couple of years ago when visiting family in Finland at Christmas.Dont be tempted to go for the next size up when ordering.I usually go for XL glad I got L...plenty of room.Well pleased and thanks to the supplier when making the order.