Format: Audio CD|Change

on 31 March 2003
This has to be the best Enya album there is, and one of my all-time favourite albums.
Enya's voice is haunting, gentle and pure; it stirs the soul. The songs range from "Watermark", a gentle and moving piano instrumental, to the more upbeat "Orinoco Flow". My favourites include the darker sound of "Exile", with Enya singing haunting, mournful lyrics, to "Na Laetha Geal M'Oige", again, a captivating, moving song, but all the songs on here are exceptional. When I listen to this album I am transported to another world.
Fans of all music genre's should find this a compelling and beautiful listening experience. Fans of New Age music, as well as Celtic, ambient, and the "chill-out" compilations will NOT be disappointed. This is a spell-binding, deeply emotional experience, an album you will truly treasure.
on 18 November 2001
Enya's first main album, and I still think her best to date.
Usually if I listen to an album more than once on the day I buy it, it means it's good, and I must have played this one about five or six times!!
From the gentle haunting piano of the title track Watermark, and the dramatic stirring vocals of Cursum Perficio to the pure beauty and emotion of Enya's voice in songs such as On Your Shore, (one of my favourite tracks) and of course the no1 hit Orinoco Flow,
this album has everything; gentle and relaxing, uplifting, stirring and even tracks that can make you cry!
I especially like the use of 'live' instruments such as the clarinet in On Your Shore, the low whistle in Exile, and uillean pipes of Na Laetha Geal M'oige, something I feel lacking a bit from her more recent work.
Words are not enough to describe this album, so you'll just have to listen for yourself!
on 26 November 2002
The first time I heard the lilting melody of Orinoco Flow I knew I was onto a winner! I have been a big fan of Clannad for many years and I, like many others, was very sceptical when Enya left to pursue her solo career after the success of "Magical Ring". Boy was I wrong to doubt!! Watermark is a seminal album in the stellar career of one of folk musics true stars, packed full of great tracks from the hard edges of "Na laetha geal m'oige" to the rich harmony of "Cursum perfico". It is an album with something for everyone. Long may Enya reign!!
on 11 November 2000
To listen to this music is like being released into a world of pure emotion. While listening to this compelation my soul was transported through every physical emotion, and I am not afraid to admit that I cried with Exile, so deeply did the music grip me in its spell. I cannot comprehend just how much Enya puts into her work, but it can safely be said that her music comes from the heart and it has captured mine. If you wish to lie down and let your mind escape the bounds of this reality then this album can do that, listening to the songs as they play you can picture events as they unfold it is a real imagination creator, even the most narrow minded of us can't help but picture the song as it plays.
VINE VOICEon 18 March 2004
There are only a few albums that last year after year after year and "Watermark" is one of them. While there are plenty of subsequent albums from Enya that are great, "Watermark" has some of her best work, from the Latin "Cursum Perficio" to "Orinoco Flow." There isn't one bad cut on this album and the Celtic singing and Latin are hypnotic and mysterious. It's no wonder many of the tunes were used in advertisements--you just have to stop to listen. I love this one.
on 25 January 2005
I first heard Enya's music many years ago and found it quite pleasing to the ear, but had never bought any of her albums.
However, one evening I was watching a great film 'L.A. Story', starring Steve Martin, and I heard some incredible music, which I found out to be 'Exile' as part of the soundtrack. I had to know was it was, so I searched it out in the credits, and saw it was Enya, and I had to buy the Album.
This album also contains the famous 'Orinoco Flow', but they are only two of the wonderful tracks, and I have also gone on to buy more of her wonderful albums, It's just not possible to stop at one, and every track is a new discovery that seems to heal the soul and calm the spirit like nothing else can.
Buy it. I promise you, you will not be sorry!
on 18 February 2016
This is truely a remarkable album... a true classic, leaving me almost lost for words; as i feel i could not review it and do Watermark justice... I feel Enya's best work was from her 1st two albums, there was just something so captivating about them, magical and unique. Later albums where not bad at all, don't get me wrong(however I will say I was very disappointed with Amarantine and Dark Sky Island); but here bizarrely I find Orrinoco Flow one of my least favourite tracks! My own favourite's include the wonderful "Cursum Perficio", "Storms in Africa", and "The Long Ships". Overall, Shepherd Moons is the best album, for me, - but I thank Enya for making such beautiful music, which will remain timeless.
on 1 May 2002
I recently bought this item in online, and when it arrived in the post I played it straight away and was dumbfounded. I had listened to some of Enya's music on low quality MMJB radio, but in CD quality it was absolutely stunning. The shimmering waves of her instrumentals, the spiritual essence of her vocals, the commanding rhythm of Cursum Perficio and the tune of Onorico Flow which stays in your head for days, all combine to create a brilliant album.
What can I say that hasn't been said? Love it! A combination of simplicity through the Roland D-50 used for the lead synths, and the multiple overlapping of vocals makes this a unique album - seamless, to be more precise. Obviously theirs nothing more to be said about Enya's vocal range, but her musical ability is fantastic; the way she contrasts low and high harmonies, to the accomplishment of giving this a universal 'world' sound is to be aspired by. If I was stranded on an island, this would be in my top 5 albums!
on 24 November 2005
Like most of Enya's loyal fans, I bought Watermark shortly after it came out around 1988/89.I've often thought about buying copies since as gifts, but notice the more recent pressings have had one track removed. 'Storms in Africa' originally had two parts, the second part being the last track.This has now been taken off the album, I think because they wanted it for the compilation album that came out in the late 1990s. A subtle move, but a bit sneaky on the part of Warner Music. Still a fine album though!