Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 30 April 2017
Easy to read. This is a book loaded with information but presented in an easy to read way. I have read this book a few times now and it always makes me feel good like a walk in the woods. Rogers style is like a friendly chat about local histories and areas around the UK, with an infectious desire for wild swimming, the love of pure nature and wild places. Highly recommended.
on 30 April 2010
I was not particularly interested in swimming when I bought this having read "Wildwood". It is wonderful book, which I have recommended to many friends, but when trying to describe the subject they seemed uninterested. This book is about so much more than swimming in wild places; it's a reflection upon our culture and conformity, something I suspect Deakin (rightly) questioned. This is a beautiful book and should be read. Having read all three of Deakin's books, I would reckon this his magnum opus, which is not to say the others are worse but this is best. Definitely in my top ten of books I have enjoyed reading.
on 22 June 2017
Bought this as a birthday present for my sister in law. Sure she'll love it as I have my own copy.
on 22 April 2017
Another excellent book from Mr Deakin, interesting and amusing.
on 29 April 2017
Absolutely superb read.quite riveting
on 18 May 2017
A very enjoyable book. Sensitively written. He has a brilliant way with words about the outdoor world.
on 30 May 2017
Free swimming book at its best.
on 8 July 2000
Its difficult to believe that an original travel book can still be written about the British Isles but Roger Deakin has made it look so easy.
I hate to use the phrase "instant classic" but that is what it is. Beautifully and honestly written but also providing a last look at a countryside and way of life we regrettably left behind in the last century.
Impossible to look at a river, stream or loch in the same way again.
on 29 May 2008
If you're the kind of person who sees water and immediately wants to go in, this is the book for you. It's practically a bible for the wild swimmer; full of marvellous places and written with such likable enthusiasm and fascinating detail that I really wished it were longer. Such a shame that he won't be writing any more.
on 25 November 1999
As an Australian resident I found this book to be absolutely fascinating. Beautifully written, this book gives a very different view to the traveller in Britain. Makes me want to visit all those places.