Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 November 2000
a lovely story. I lost my wife [34] to cancer Oct 13 '00, We have 3 children, 2, 8 amd 13. The middle one loves the book, as the younger will too, I am sure. It is also available in soft cover for under £2. It may be hard it you are affected personally - but DO find a copy and but it for the children, for now or later. Robert rjh39@yahoo.com
on 24 June 2001
This children's book explains the Christian belief of life after death through a story about the lifecycle of waterbugs and dragonflies. Children enjoy the story, and at the same time can relate it to their experience of death. It will be helpful for them both if they have immediate experience of death, or if - when! - they ask questions about it in general. It's easy to read to children who are too young to read it themselves; they will understand it.
on 24 December 1999
I first came across this simple story when my friend died, leaving four small children, only to rediscover it years later when my own children lost their Grandad. It is a very simple story which gives children very visual images to relate their experience of death to. It is a story that looks to the future and is full of hope, where it can either be related to the Christian belief in the resurrection or simply used as a postive help for children who are trying to come to terms with someone's death. A trip to a local pond with a net and a jam jar with help their understanding even more! This particular edition is lovely to give as a gift, hardback with simple coloured drawings.
on 12 April 2016
beautiful book and a great way to teach younger children about bereavment. we have had a copy for many years and recently bought this for my sister in law to show her 3year old after the loss of a grandparent. a simple understanding for children
on 10 October 2009
Great book for explaining death to young children in a light manner, bringing comfort to kids and adults too,
on 20 July 2015
I work with people who are dying and their loved ones and this little book is brilliant and very helpful whether it is for a child or an adult. I first used this book over 30 years ago to try and explain to my 4 year old daughter that her grandad had died and its a really good way of explaining death in a way that a child can understand without them feeling frightened . It was a story we read over and over again whenever she was feeling low in the early days following his death.
on 18 March 2007
I'm reading this book to my 4-year old who's asking where Granddad has gone. It's a particularly useful analogy because of the 2 different environments lived in by the water bugs and the dragonfly, which explains why we can't go to see if Granddad is OK and neither can he come back to see us! It is a bit religious, but if you're OK with that, it's a great story.
on 5 February 2016
This is a beautifully written book which uses the world of nature to explain death to children. When I used it i did not explain the story but by allowing the children to think about death in the context of the story they came up with some deeply theological ideas on their own and they were only seven and eight year olds.
on 2 March 2016
I really liked this book and it was so helpful for our kids after Great Grandad died, really helped them to understand that he had gone to heaven, to a better place and that he wouldn't be coming back here but we would see him again in heaven.
on 10 September 2003
This book tells a sweet story of a water bug who leaves his old life behind to become a dragonfly in his new life. I did feel the story would only appeal to under 5-6 year olds as the story was fictional and did not give the reality of death. Beautifully illustrated, a lovely prayer at the end of the book with the option to put the name of the deceased in. This book would make a nice keepsake for a child to remember the loved one that died.