on 8 June 2017
Got this recommended via Amazon and took a chance because of some of the top names in the front.
I'm not usually a fan of collections of short stories but I love post apocalyptic fiction and this has a huge collection of that.
The stories that are good are really good but you need to sift through a lot of chaf to get to the good ones.
Having said that, I may still purchase the second volume because the good stories really were good
2 people found this helpful
on 11 January 2017
Fantastic post-apocalyptic short stories - I really enjoyed this compilation. It's a great mix of different genres in post-apocalyptic fiction, with many creative viewpoints - it's immersing, and a pleasure to read. Sure, some stories are better than others, but this is a given in any short-story collection. Look no further for post-apocalyptic short stories - highly recommended (most certainly better than the second volume!).
on 2 March 2017
Good anthology, some better than others but all well written. Nice change to read intelligent post apocalyptic fiction without the usual silliness that often pervades the genre.
on 9 July 2013
If you like this sub-genre and want a reliable collection of well written short stories, this is it. Also includes detailed intro,s and background to the featured authors and further reading lists.
I have been dipping in and out of it for a couple weeks; nearly finished and there are no bad entries here and a few really excellent ones.
Recommend!
on 29 April 2012
I'm not sure exactly how to review this item, as I'm still a little bit lost between my expectations and what this book actually could offer me.
The selected stories are brilliant, and the quality of the writers displayed here is just amazing. Still I found quite hard to keep some interest on this book, when the stories are definitively to short to have some pleasure while reading them. There's always the feeling of something missing, that shouldn't come with such amazing writing quality.
In the end, this books stands between a good book, with brilliant stories, and something where we could never get truly satisfied as we should.
It's a pity that such an amazing idea got lost in such short stories.
on 5 June 2017
Brilliant. Thank you
on 7 September 2014
I found the book increasingly dull and didn't really find many of the stories interesting especially as many of them felt a bit samey.
One person found this helpful
on 21 June 2014
The book is full of tantalising stories of how our world will end. These were samples of great imagination, leaving the reader wanting to read more books by these authors
on 2 September 2014
Really good mix of different post-apocalyptic short stories, I enjoyed all but one story (i found the Mute story slightly weird), and also read Eternity road off the back of reading the short story in this, which was also excellent.
on 14 February 2017