Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 6 March 2006
I have read several of Johanna Lindsey’s Regency Romances and was surprised to find a book from her in the fantasy/science fiction section of the library so decided to give it a go.
The story started describing Tedra, the heroine, in her rented apartment, and from the first page we are well aware she’s in a different world – a world of technology, labour-saving devices and computers on a planet with no natural vegetation and where people aren’t “born”, they are created via IVF and incubated through artificial wombs. Tedra is a Sec 1 which is a member of the security forces and she’s proud of her skills.
When the government is taken over by a man working in concert with a warrior tribe of people from another planet, Tedra realises she has to leave and escape as Sec 1 women are being enslaved by the warriors and carried off to their planet. Although when she meets one of these people she actually finds him rather attractive, she manages to disable him and escape with her computer, Martha, and a robot, Corth.
Much is made of the fact Tedra hasn’t been “breached”, i.e. is a virgin, and she legally has to give up her virgin status by her 25th birthday (in just a year’s time). She has nothing against it, is just waiting for the right man – who hasn’t yet shown up.
Tedra travels a long way and eventually Martha decides they have found a good planet for her to start her experience as a trader of goods. Tedra is transported (in a rather Star-Trek manner) to the planet surface and immediately runs into Challen, a very tall warrior who she finds instantly appealing. The rest of the story is about their culture clashes and his apparent refusal to believe that she is actually from another planet. They have multiple clashes of wills with Challen thinking she should submit to his authority and Tedra being reluctant to do so. Their relationship appears to be cemented through sex and eventually he and some of his warriors help her wage war against the coup leader on her planet so that it is all fixed again. She returns to Challen’s planet to live there as his wife.
It’s a nicely-written story with amusing dialogue, a light touch and a lot of fun. Nothing too taxing for the brain but an enjoyable way to while away an afternoon.
on 3 October 2001
Tendra is from a technologically advanced world, currently under seige. Although a security officer, all female security officers are being made slaves, so Tendra escapes the planet on a ship ably piloted by her (mobile) computer Martha (thus escaping the need for crew, or for Tendra to have pilot training). Martha selects Challen's planet, populated by 'barbarian' warriors such as Challen - who is of course a leader of his people - as a potential aid to Tendra's home planet. Challen's planet is primitive by Tendra's standards, but with her communicator out of reach, and under an immediate debt of honor to Challen due to losing out in a fight (a first for Tendra), Tendra is compelled to stay for her month of forfeit. Although Tendra is up front about who she is, and why she's there, Challen does not believe her at first.
OK, the story line is not exactly the freshest thing, but it doesn't have to be. Tendra and Challen are both such strong individuals, and even secondary characters not least including Martha are well developed. The characterisation is definately for me the reason for enjoying the book. The two central characters are from such different cultures, and yet their personalities ultimately (after a few adjustments) fit together so well, and it was this period of adjustment that makes the story so enjoyable.
It is difficult sometimes to connect with Tendra's gradual reconcilliation with the male dominance of Challen's world, which includes the right to punish 'their' women as males see fit. It helps that Challen ultimately changes himself to become a fit partner for such a strong woman, although I hope that Tendra would eventually emancipate the females and educate the males of Sha-Ka'ani!
on 21 July 1999
This was the first Johanna Lindsey book I read. It was this book that got me hooked on her style. You can usually count on JH to keep you interested, if for no other reason than just to see where it might end. I like that Tedra can give as good as it gets. There were times I got just as frustrated as the character with some of Challen's "ways". Half of the time I wasn't sure if I wanted her to hug him or just plain and simply NOCK HIM OUT a by the end I still wasn't sure. I like that he was so forcefull. But then again I wish he could have just sat back and relaxed.
I have read "Keeper of the Heart" as well also enjoyed it now I am waiting for Dalden's story I have a feeling he's going to fall hard.
on 2 November 1998
Tedra and Challen are two of the best characters ever. They are witty and extremely funny. Tedra is the type of heroine that all authors should begin to model their heroines after after. She is strong, independant, and not afraid to challenge her man on things that she considers important. This was the first book that I read by Lindsey and to me it was the best. Since reading Warrior's Woman I have read every other Johanna Lindsey book. I enjoyed them all but for me Warrior's Woman was the best. I also enjoyed the sequel and I would love to see Lindsay continue writing stories about the Ly-san-ter family. Again I believe that this book is the best and it is priceless. I would recommend it to anyone as I matter of fact I already have. I've told my friends about this book and they read and also loved it.
on 9 October 2015
iv read alot of lindseys books and the earlier ones are definately the best. this is the second latest one iv read but i wont be reading any more. it dull and boring. i usually cant put the book down and want to be the protagonist. not any more
on 10 August 1999
I loved this book. In my opinion, it is one of Johanna Lindsey's best books! The characters were unique and funny. Ms. Lindsey has a wonderful imagination and she put it to use when she wrote this book. This is my favorite type of book, but it's hard to find good ones. This is one of the best.
on 3 March 2015
First read this book in print years ago - characters, plot etc well thought out - especially interaction between the barbarians and the female warrior from another planet with a talking computer that talks like a human with a sarcastic sense of humour. Really enjoyed this book then and still do now. This one's a keeper for me. If you read this and enjoy it - try the Mallory series by this author.
on 20 May 2014
Loved this story Sooooooh much!

Two strong characters, learning about each other,challenging beliefs and boundaries. Sexy alpha males and a kickass heroine, great read for fan's of romance other worlds genre. Humorous, sexy,erotic, passion and much much more.

Johanna Lindsey is hard to beat for her books, I would highly recommend this book to you.
on 21 June 1998
I have read Warrior's Woman at least 10 times, and each time I fall in love all over again with the story. Lindsey is an excellent author and this is one of the best she has put out in a long time. It's lots of laughs. Hopefully we'll see more new releases and less reprints of earlier editions. The way Lindsey writes this book all the charecters seem to come to life even the computer Martha, whose wit is great. Nothing gets passed her.
on 22 October 2013
Story was very different in it's angle yet still the wonderful romance you can expect of the traditional Johanna. I say this because I haven't read ones of Ms Lindsey's books in over 20 years. This is no reflection on her books why there was such a gap, just that this was the type of book I preferred back then and my taste changed....But this read has enflamed (excuse the mushy pun) my interest again. I do wish that I had read this before book 2 but actually it didn't disappoint to know how their relationship turned out long term, I mean you know the plot will end ******** of course you do if your into these types of novels!
This also is more humorous than other ones I can remember, the characters are really great and yes you can't help falling in love with this hunky and tender hero and her strong heroine set in the unique futuristic universe, great twist on the historical romance so favoured by the author.