Customer reviews

on 14 June 2007
I simply could not see the point of Stan Nicholls ideas about Orcs. Yes, writing an action / fantasy tale from a traditional protagonists P.O.V is an entertaining notion. But it seemed to me that the author simply humanised these characters rather than attempt to re-invent them. What's the point? If the Orcs are talking, thinking, behaving and reacting to their world as human charcters do in all other fiction, then all the author has done is given us a shabby pantomime with poor actors in very bad make up.

As for the writing itself, I found it clumsy, derivative to the point of the cliche, and I'm afraid to say, virtually adolescent. I give you one of endless examples of this dreadful prose and rest my case:

"She took his manhood in her hands..."

The fantasy genre is replete with badly written books.

Did we really need another?
on 22 November 2001
First I'd like to say the only reason I didn't give 5 stars was because the full 5 belong to Lord of the Rings and the Lord of the Rings only.
These books are a breath of fast cold air, the description in the violence scenes really hits the bone and the characters are very likeable, and that involves Haskeer. One of the most enjoyable set of books I've read recently, Stan Nicholls has his own brand of writing, if i could describe it in 2 words I'd say FAST & FURIOUS.
on 28 December 2000
well written and a great storyline , this is a must buy for fantasy fans. Stan Nicholls should continue this series , as it is true to life and does not gloss over the depths to which some people will go to achieve their goals . ONE FOR YOUR COLLECTION .
on 30 July 2014
Another instalment of Stryke and his band. Entertaining, but predictable........still enjoying the series and the view f r on the orcs perspective!