Warriors of the Prophet: Struggle for Islam Hardcover – 1 Sep 1998
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Mark Huband is an award-winning journalist and former correspondent for The Guardian, The Observer, and The Times. He is currently Security Correspondent for the Financial Times. He lives in London. --This text refers to the Paperback edition.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Although a journalist - and the book contains its share of revealing interviews with some of the key players, Huband steers away from the purely anecdotal approach to understanding a complex phenomenon. Instead, and this is one of his great strengths vis-a-vis many of his contemporaries, Huband writes with the sure touch of an academic or policy analyst, and provides the reader with considerable analysis and insight on all the main Islamist movements. This is not an easy task when dealing with a gamut of organisations ranging from the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt to the Algerian Armed Islamic Group (GIA), but Huband succeeds, and does so very well.
Highly recommended, this is one of the best books around on the Islamist phenomenon.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
This is a short book, but the language used in the writing of this book makes it unnecessaryly difficult. The reader will learn of how the failures of the present Middle East regimes gave rise to political Islam. Failures in providing social services also gave rise to the Fundamentals. I also think the author panders to much to the Middle East audience. He blames the policies of the West and those of the elite which rule these countries of the Middle East. A difficult read and one not recommended for the beginning historian.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Law
- Books > History > Countries & Regions > Asia > Middle East
- Books > History > Religious History > Islam
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Islam > Festivals
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Countries & Regions > Middle East
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Political Science & Ideology
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Political Structure & Processes
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Multicultural Studies > Islamic Studies