Customer reviews

on 23 December 2014
Enjoyed reading this book, very detailed
on 11 November 2010
A good book which gives the reader a shortened account of each individuals heroic adventure. A good read that offers facts and show Ross has done a good deal of research.
on 18 November 2010
Ross Kemp has all the credentials for wriring this book having been there done that and understands the feelings of the armed forces.An excellent read and unputdownable.
on 21 November 2010
This book is a good read for any fan of World Wars, singing the praised of the unsung heroes not only a fab book but it arrived in great condition and a good price to.
on 30 December 2010
A "must read" for anyone who thinks a modern day footballer is a Hero.

This book shows they ain't.

Short stories of unbelievable bravery and sacrifice that man is prepared to make for his mates and country. My son who is 9 (nearly 10) will be encouraged to read it in order that he learns at an early age what true "Heroes" our country has produced in the past, and no doubt sadly in the future produce again. These men did their duty as they saw it for everyone except themselves. Something we should never forget.

Written in a style that is easy to read, holding the readers attention. Having previously only knowing Kemp from being an actor in a "soap" I have changed my mind on him and will no doubt read other books penned by him. A good book, one for the young may we never forget those who died for us, who themselves were so young.
on 30 November 2010
This was very readable, covering a number of British heroes from 2 World Wars. There was more than sufficient detail for such a broad range of subjects leaving some scope for inquiring minds to research further if so minded. Certainly a good candidate for the Christmas Gift list.
on 7 March 2011
I was reccommended this book by a friend and I have to say it is a very good book, some of the stories (especially the ones covering the Army side of life) are truely awe inspiring, and being a soldier myself I can only imagine how hard it was for them with out the kit we are issued now.
However I found some of the stories way to short and even boring towards the end (maybe planes and ships don't interest me enough).
But it was great reading about the lost heroes of WW2 and makes you wonder how many more are out there but are sadly forgotten, as some of these stories should be made into films!!

in short a good read but does repeat itself after a while.
on 21 March 2012
I found this an excellent book with comprehensive short biographies of a selection of 'heroes' which lead one on to more extensive reading. For example Captain Randle should be followed up with reading Fergal Keane's "Road of Bones" which shows the full Kohima story in all its horrre and glory - and even a biography of arguably our most able Secodnd World War General 'Bill' Slim'in Robert Lyman's "Slim,master of War".
My one criticism is in one of mixing of regiments. When writing about Captain Noel Chavasse he interchanges the Liverpool Scottish and the London Scottish with abandon and often on the same page. This is of particular interest to me as, while a boy in the 1930s, We had friends who had served in London Scottish and were pround of their regiment, as I am sure were the Liverpool Scottish, wich were not the same.
I am also glad that he added the story of the armed liner 'Jeris Bay' a feat of bravery which has seldom been equalled. The feature fim "San Demetrio, London" graphically shows the action.
Finally we can all think of others who might qualify and I hope that Ross Kmmp will write another book to entrall us
on 30 December 2010
Bought this book for my husband as part of his xmas present. He couldn't put the book down.

It tells about the people who took part in the war, it's not about battles etc.
on 24 February 2015
This book is excellent. It is so well written and really interesting. Ross Kemp has described exactly how our wonderful servicemen became
such heroes, it is unbelievable how these men did such amazing things putting their own lives at risk to save their comrades and their country.
I have now bought another of his books and would definitely recommend them.