The War of 1812 (Essential Histories) Paperback – 18 Oct 2002
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"I am most favorably impressed by the Essential Histories series on the American Civil War. Written by four of the best historians of the military course of the war, these volumes provide a lucid and concise narrative of the campaigns in both the Eastern and Western theaters as well as penetrating analyses of strategies and leadership. Ideal for classroom use or fireside reading."
About the Author
Carl Benn, PhD, is Chief Curator of the City of Toronto's Museums and Heritage Services, and also teaches history and museum studies at the University of Toronto. He has curated numerous exhibits and restored various historic facilities, including Canada's most complete War of 1812 fort. His extensive publications include Historic Fort York, 1793-1993 and The Iroquois in the War of 1812. Currently he is editing a collection of First Nations memoirs from the War of 1812 for publication.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
For a non-Canadian like me, this was a handy discovery. The subject matter is well organised: the author sets out the complex background to the war, and the various parties and motives involved, before briskly taking one through each annual campaign, on land and sea, and ending with an evaluation of the outcome as well as noting how different the main protagonists portrayed the war at the time and since. It is well illustrated with contemporary prints and maps, and includes a decent index. My only surprise is a chapter given to John Strachan, but I guess he is more familiar to a Canadian reader.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Countries & Regions > Central America & Caribbean
- Books > History > Military History
- Books > History > North America > Civil War, American Indian Wars, Pioneers 1801-1900
- Books > History > World History > 1751-1900
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Political Structure & Processes > Constitution: Government & the State
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Warfare & Defence