on 22 June 2016
This is a really nice book if you are an animator. Bought this one with "Animation", But the Package was really damaged and both books were torn and bumped on the side. Just Awful International delivery. Would not order it on international delivery. The Book itself is filled with great drawings, but almost no text, so not a lot to actually read and learn from. Other than that, beautiful and masterful art.
review image review image
Of the three books from The Archive Series, this is my favourite. It covers design or the concept art for animated films.

This 256-page hardcover is filled with beautiful character designs, background paintings and storyboards. There are Mary Blair's paintings, wonderful layouts from Hans Bacher, the Lilo and Stitch drawings from Chris Sanders, pastel colour scripts from Bolt animated films and more. The art here is way more colourful than the previous two volumes on Story and Animation.

There is work dating back to the 1920s up to the latest animated films like The Princess and the Frog, and even Tangled. You will be able to see how the art has evolved with time, and the various Disney artists that have worked there and some are still working there now. There are so many styles to look at, from pencil animated characters to watercolour scenes to oil paintings.

If you have other Disney art books, some pieces of work are actually repeated, but about one fifth of the them are published here for the first time. Even so, this is a wonderful collection to get. And if you have to get only one volume out of The Archive Series, I'll recommend this volume.

This is a beautiful and inspiring collection.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)
on 4 April 2014
This is a "BEST".
Huge heavy book with pleanty of great and colorful illustrations.
This is what every Disney fan library should contain, its like diving right into the Disney archives.
Its so well illustrated you actually cant contain it. (a very rare experience indeed)

VERY WELL, A must have.

Emil Sixh
on 1 September 2011
When the book arrived to my house, I was a bit nervous to see what it would look like. I felt sick! My stomach was rumbling since I ordered it... I was only nervous because I was thinking "What IF it is a disappointment?". I was so excited for it to arrive that I actually started thinking bad things about it.

When it arrived and I opened the Amazon box it just lay there GLARING at me. It looked so unique, like it was alive!
As soon as I opened the book, it straight away showed me that the artists who made the concept art put so much love into all of their designs.

Some of my favourites pieces in the book were the Alice in Wonderland montages, the Cruella De Vil montage and The Little Mermaid "Ursula" designs.

I was actually quite surprised to find that it even contained art from Disney's recent film - "Tangled"

Once again, at the start of the book there is a wonderful introduction from John Lasseter (Animator, Director and the Chief Creative Officer at Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios)

This book is a MUST for anyone - Especially for artists, as I want to be an animator when I'm older and this book can really help you with concept designs etc.
Even for people who don't like art in any shape or form, it's still incredible to see all the work and expression put into people's artwork!

5 STAR!

Note: My Amazon box did have a ripped out hole from the corner of it, but thankfully nothing was damaged.
on 23 June 2013
A stunningly gorgeous book, full of beautiful art, that is great for inspiring and relaxing. Great to take a peek at Disney's Animataion Archive, he he!
on 16 January 2013
Bought as a gift for someone who adores animation. It was much appreciated and I will consider adding the other two in the trilogy.
on 13 April 2011
I just recieved this book this week. And other than I got this one with dents and scratches, the book itself is totally amazing.

It is by far the best of all these three books!

I higly suggest you get one if your a fan of Disney.
on 29 December 2016
Excellent book, bought it for my son for Christmas he was well pleased as he is doing animation at uni.
on 25 March 2016
A must have for all disney fans and graphic artists. My favourite from the collection
on 22 September 2016
Highly recommend this, it is an amazing resource.