on 29 May 2017
A great follow on to her original Artist Way book, and relevant for our busy lives today
on 14 December 2009
If I'd not read and studied The Artist's Way and The Vein of Gold I would've given this book 5 stars. Even if the book is very good I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't as good as Cameron previous books.

Walking in this World feels like a repetition and a poor copy of The Artist's Way. The exercises are not as many and not as time-consuming as the ones in previous books. It's a light version and it's fine if you want to re-connect with your creativity and spirituality. For me it was perfect as I've been quite busy this year and it's been good going through a chapter now and again to help me get back on track.

Funnily enough each chapter has dealt with something I really needed to work on at that very moment. It's good with the constant reminders of claiming your right to solitude and support and also being protective of your work without isolating yourself totally.

Even if this book is more "passive" than The Artist's Way and Vein of Gold the essays are still well worth reading.
on 12 February 2012
If you are an emerging creative professional, as student or even an established one who needs some pointers or reminders on how to keep going when you may face challenges or your work becomes a bit stale then I would whole heartedly reccomend this book to you. Its a wonderful book to dip in and out of when you need reassurance or just a reminder that there are many creative people experiencing exactly the same thing.

I'm not a religious person so I found some of the references to God a little unnecessary but it doesn't impose enough on the writing to put me off reading it on and off over the last six years. I am an emerging artist and writer and this book has kept me going whilst I was a Masters student, when noone was interested in my work, when my personal life stopped me from making good work, through my first exhibitions and when I was first published.

Cameron talks from the heart about her own creative journey and those around her and how as creative people, we must look after ourselves and keep our work in perspective.
on 27 March 2008
I read this book a long time ago but I do recall that I found it more to my taste than The Artist's Way (although I also found The Artist's Way useful at the time). I'm writing this review mostly to balance another reviewer's very negative 1 star rating. While Walking in this World did repeat some of what was in The Artist's Way I found the additional information very useful.

I won't go into specifics as it was quite a while since I read Walking in this World but I do remember being inspired by it at the time. I now find I refer more to Eric Maisel's Fearless Creating: A Step-by-step Guide to Starting and Completing Your Work of Art (Inner Work Book) but would still recommend this book if you liked Cameron's The Artist's Way and would like to read more.
on 9 June 2013
I read this book a few years ago to question what creativity meant for me as I did a lot of art in my childhood/youth but then went to a corporate career and forgot about arts. Visiting the Tate Museum in London, I saw this book in the bookshop and it suddenly felt like the book to read to revisit this forgotten part of my life. I found it great as it made me question creativity in my life, asked how my creativity was promoted when I was a child, what importance it has for me, etc. I found the book really great for people who would like to have more creativity in their lives and don't really know how to start. It is really inspirational, with great advice, quotes from famous artists and all this is very nicely worded. Thanks so much Julia! It helped me start a part time painting activity that I would never have started without this book. I found that now that I have obstacles in my everyday artistic practice I also have to read more practical books, like "Fearless Creating" by E. Maisel. However I still refer to Julia Cameron's book for inspiration!
on 3 May 2006
Julia Cameron has some interesting ideas and good self-development/self-awareness exercises. However,if you have already bought one of her books, leave well alone. This book seems to be a thinly disguised reworking of The Artists Way - and thus it has less to offer the audience than the author's bank balance.
22 Comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 March 2009
Shame on Mr No Name for giving a measly one star to this lovely book (if he'd like me to point him in the direction of some books which are far more deserving of the one-star treatment I'd be happy to). Yes, this is very much a sequel to the Artist's Way, but it's just as delicious, thoughtful and inspiring and it has helped me greatly in many ways. I definitely recommend it. I love Julia Cameron's work and find her approach to be truly nurturing and comforting.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 November 2012
There is some good advice in this book, a few useful techniques, a great deal of popular psychology and some rather off-putting New Age waffle. The "spirituality" is of a very superficial kind. Cameron seems to be writing for the same audience as in The Artist's Way: A Course in Discovering and Recovering Your Creative Self; the mid-life-crisis sufferer, frustrated housewife and those who like to think of themselves as creative, but haven't actually done anything to satisfy their own criteria. Sounds like I'm sneering, but Cameron makes money by running courses based on the materials in these books, and they have to be all things to all people to attract the punters.

Some of this stuff is useful. Some is inclined to promote self-pitying navel-gazing, a sense of "victimhood", and a lack of discrimination. I doubt that much of it os of any real, practical use to people with real talent. The gist is, "Believe in yourself, give yourself permission to just go ahead and do stuff". Easier said than done, and then again, what if you don't actually have any talent? Cameron does not address this issue for, to her, we are each and every one of us thwarted, talented artists. Unfortunately for the reader, if everyone is uniquely takented that doesn't give you much confidence. It's a bit like schools where the teachers routinely tell every child that their work is brilliant. The child soon sees through this; if everyone's is equally brilliant, then by the same argument everyone's is equally rubbish. Any sense of acheivement or progress is destroyed.

In the Guidelines at the end, Cameron states "Avoid self-appointed gurus". Dangerous thing to say, for what else is Cameron but a self-appointed guru?
on 30 December 2015
I bought this as a present. Time will tell if it has been useful. I took a look at it and thought it to be similar in approach to her first book The Artists Way, not surprising as it is the 2nd of 3 books to do with artistic endeavours. I think it takes the person on through the likely blocks to development of your art having got you through the hurdle of starting in book one to actually practice your art at all. I have bought the 3rd which will be another present and I hope will have more gems to help further.
on 27 May 2011
I don't always follow Julia's way, but when I do I feel better for it, it's a real pick me up... If i'm having a particularly trying time and need to reconnect with my self and my art, I turn to this book.
I'm not sure about the reference to God, if we could change that one word to something less religious and more spiritual, the book would be perfect.