on 2 February 2006
i have only done a couple of the suggested walks and the detail is extraordinary. Also, the hints of how to arrive at the starting point helped me alot. and the fact that some of the walks are exactly what a outdoors enthusiast is after...namely the lesser known walks.
on 22 May 2010
This book was useful in identifying the location of walks -- though most, I discovered, could have been located in general guidebooks, at tourist offices. The guide needs up-dating: things have changed. Directions are often vague or unclear. On the whole, too much carelessness.
on 29 April 2002
This guide provides accurate detailed information on walking through many of the most interesting areas in Sicily. During a 2 week stay in Sicily I was able to take 10 of the walks described in this guide. Having suffered my fair share of inaccurate or out of date guide book information I can say with confidence that this guide book wont let you down. Without this book in my pack. me and a friend of mine might still be wondering around an abandon group of stone buildings on the island of Levanzo trying to find the old shepard's path.
on 1 May 2013
This book has little information or maps, fails to rate hikes, and they are all too short to be of much use to me. Try the 'Landscapes of Sicily' book which is, surprisingly, quite a bit better.
on 9 November 2012
Gillian's book was a good starting point for ideas on where to walk but rather out of date. Providing directions with instructions such as looking out for a certain type of flower in bloom is not very helpful if you are walking in October, as we were - not many flowers in bloom in October!
on 20 June 2011
I'm not sure how often this book is updated, but on some of the walks we took from this book in south east sicily, we ended up wandering through thorny thickets with no apparent path. Directions of walks and starting points were not very clear.
on 30 May 2011
We bought the book before deciding where to stay in Sicily and it led us to the Madonie National Park, where we took a fabulous walk in the mountains and then later on to the West Coast north of Trapani. There in particular we found the Zingaro National Park where we had another great walk including an amazing swim in an almost deserted cove. So altogether we did 5 walks from the book in a week's stay and had a wonderful holiday. The only reason it is not ***** is that it is not always that easy to follow the directions and maps in the book.
on 25 May 2010
Very useful guide. Took us well away from normal tourist routes. Would recommend map for any area visited.
on 15 October 2014
Good for walk guidance but does not contain more general information of interest adjacent to the walks!
on 11 October 2014
Bit wish I was 10 years younger!