Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£4.99

on 11 August 2016
Great debut album. Lots of variety. First listened to this album while on a long walk, was amazing. Looking forward to the third album coming out soon
on 30 May 2017
DVD as stated, fast delivery. Very much liked by my friend, thanks
on 24 July 2017
Good
on 15 March 2009
Didn't know what to expect when buying this, but I'm glad I did. They have a really unique, immediately likeable sound. It's a strange mix of 80s pop, indie and synth stuff, and can get a little samey, but the songs each have their own blend of magic and it's really interesting to listen to.

It's a must buy.
END OF LINE
on 18 March 2009
Id been listening to this album online and a family member downloaded it for me ..~I enjoyed it so much i finally decided to have a copy for the car.Then i can play it for other friends who may in turn like it.
I find this album very good in fact excellant and a change from the british groups as they come from Australia. I recommend to everyone.
Its a hit with my family and me so give it a whirl..
on 3 February 2009
I bought this album last year on import after being captivated by the video for "walking on a dream" and so have been listening to it for a couple of months now. I think Empire of the Sun will be to 2009 what MGMT were to 2008. This quirky Australian duo draw from a wide template of influences, mainly pop, electronic, and 80s soft-rock. They are already on many people's radar due to placing 4th in the BBCs "Sound of 2009", along with their spectacular concept videos for "Walking on a dream" and "We are the people" doing the rounds on internet. They are bound to be the darlings of the hipster music magazines and I predict that the aforementioned singles will be the sound-track to this summer. However, like MGMT, while the album has a handful of absolute top-drawer potential singles (the latter two, plus "Half Mast" and "Standing on the shore"), which will probably be the catchiest thing you will here all year, overall I would say the album is of patchy quality. "Country" is a nice chilled out instrumental, and "Swordfish Hotkiss night" raises the bar slightly again with its take on Prince styled funk, but there really is nothing else on offer of the quality of the first 4 tracks. My recommendation is to download the first 4 songs, but make sure you check out the rest prior to purchasing. Empire of the Sun are sure to be huge in 2009, and as artists with a fantastic vision, art direction, and potential mega hit singles they deserve it, but the album just isn't the world beater I was hoping for.

3.5 stars
33 Comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 August 2009
Empire of the suns debut album was the cause of some hype..so i decided to investigate further and see if it was the masterpiece some were saying?

This is very much an album of 2 halves, The first 5 tracks or so are all very good with "standing on the shore" the standout..an amazingly infectious dance groover. The 2nd half of the album changes gear somewhat to a more chilled out semi folk like approach in places but the songs seem largely bland and dull to be honest.

Shame as the first few tracks are killer..id still recommend it for the firstt half of the album though.
on 24 May 2009
Walking on a Dream is a flambouyant and high spirited blend of gaudy multi-layred stream of consciousness lyrics, a little snip of prog ('Delta Bay' especially reminds me of Yes's 'Going for the One') a generous shake of '80s style synths and drums and a whole big dollop of sheer joyous fun.

The whole album is full of driving energy, and playfulness; from the anthemic strains of the singles ('Walking on a Dream' and 'We are the People' - the latter my particular favourite) interspersed with the really funky ('Swordfish Hotkiss Night')the dreamy (the instrumental 'Country')to the hugely melodic,and rhythmic ('Standing on the Shore') all informed by the elided drawl of Luke Steele's supple voice which I really like.

In many ways, this album also reminds me of Kate Bush's 'The Dreaming' (another 80s reference!)- really pounding rythms, a lot of sweetness and melody and a total committment it's own vision - which may not always confrom to what the prevailing wisdom is. Not everything on the album is as instantly accessible as the singles. But surrender to the sheer energetic joy of it, don't be too serious. You'll have a great time.
on 29 March 2009
This is a totally different sound and takes a few listens to get into the album. The first 4 tracks are by far the best. The single 'Walking on a Dream' is fantastic and I don't get tired of listening to it. Their latest single 'We are the People' is a real sing-along tune. The rest of the album has some rather quirky tracks but give it a chance and you will come to enjoy it. In any case, I love the album on the strength of the first four tracks alone.
on 16 January 2010
I heard 'we are the people' on the radio one day and it caught my attention. I thought it was a great song - I still can't put my finger on who this band sound like! Supertramp springs to mind, but even they are not quite as unique as Aussie duo Empire Of The Sun. The first 4 songs on this album are great, especially if like me you were captivated by 'we are the people', as they all have the same feel. However, the rest of the album is a bit disappointing. I quite like the slow tender lyrics in 'without you', but the version they have released recently is more upbeat and lacks the slow, purposeful beat of the album version. I do hate it when bands release a different version of a song to the version that's on their album - it makes me feel slightly ripped off! Saying that, I personally prefer the album version as it's softer and shows another dimension to the duo.

I really hate track 5, it's rubbish and lacks the thought and production that's clearly gone into the other tracks. It sounds lazy and effortless - you'll see what I mean if you hear it. Track 6 is a lovely acoustic song that sounds very chilled out (reminds me of a clear blue sea gently lapping at the shore), but doesn't fit with the rest of the album in my opinion, as it's instrumental . And after that, well, judge for yourself...Track 7 is ok.

This duo could and should have been much more successful, but sadly, I feel a lack of promotion and a lack of communication between the two men responsible (I read they have fallen out) will ensure this band disappears into the pile of artists that never really got the recognition they deserved. Cover artwork is quite amazing though, as are the pages within the booklet. If you like the 'fantasy' look, this will appeal. Must have taken that illustrator hours!