on 9 May 2007
As a resident of the South Coast, "Walk! The Isle of Wight" seemed something of a natural progression for me, having been well and truly bitten by the walking `bug' after acquiring Martin Simons' superb debut Guide, "Walk! The South Downs".

Easily accessible, yet somehow pleasurably `remote', the Island and its walks beckoned me across the Solent, from the moment I opened the book, and day trips will now fast become a regular feature of my leisure time. I have already been persuaded, against all my better instincts(!), to abandon the car, and sample life as a foot-passenger, taking advantage of the Island's bus services, the stops for which are incorporated into the walks. I would happily repeat the experience.

The winning presentation of the Guide- the overview/summary of the walks, the symbols ratings for effort, distance, time, refreshments etc. - continues to prove invaluable. However, as a solitary, female walker, it is the detail and accuracy of the descriptions that matter most to me. I choose to walk without the support of GPS, yet I am able to set out, with confidence, secure in the knowledge that my walk will be both safe and memorable because the routes are so diligently researched and so clearly explained.

Practical considerations aside, I have been both surprised and enthralled by the scenery that the Island has to offer. If, like me, your pleasure derives simply from the joy of being outside, and an uncomplicated appreciation of landscape/seascape, wildlife, flora and fauna, this book will guide you to the best the Island has to offer. If, however, you need the `history' and the `geology' to complete the experience, Martin will point you in the right direction!

Unlike many of my friends and colleagues resident on the South Coast, I have no `past history' with the Isle of Wight - no recollection of childhood outings; no burning desire to re-visit old haunts or bask in the nostalgia of lost youth, so its discovery has been an entirely new source of pleasure to me. Either way, pioneering or re-visiting, sampling the walks in this book comes highly recommended!

Martin's first book transformed my leisure-time, so I had rather high expectations of his second! I have not been disappointed!
on 15 May 2007
Having recently moved to the Island and both being keen walkers, we searched in vain for a good walking book. Our wishes have been answered by this book, a revelation! We tried walk 27. Whitwell, Week Down and the Undercliff, what a cracking route, easy parking, good pub, all round excellent. If the rest of the walks are half as good as this we are on to a winner. Next walk 'The Long Stone'! Well done Martin Simons.
on 15 November 2010
I bought the book upon booking my holiday to the Isle of Wight recently after reading the reviews on this site. I managed to complete 7 of the walks in total (I would have liked to have done them all!). Though I have been to the Isle of Wight numerous times, the walks took me through places I had never see before nor probably would have seen either. The walks pass through some of the most beautiful parts of the island and, in good weather is perfect for photography. The walks certainly do show the best of the island.

I found the GPS coords in book extremely helpful, especially in a couple of places where I would have probably ended up in slightly the wrong direction.

Many thanks again for a very well thought out, planned and written book
on 14 August 2011
Although I have other walking books which cover walking the Isle of Wight I am very glad that I took a chance of ording this book. This is a gem of a book which gives the walker all he needs for a walking trip to the Isle of Wight. We cannot wait to use this guide in september 2011
on 30 April 2013
What a great little book! We have walked for miles and miles and loved the timing aspect of this book. The author obviously walks at the same pace as us so it was good to know that we hadn't gone too far before 'turning right by the tree' etc. Great book. Recommended
on 9 July 2013
I'm a Walk! fan, having used their Tenerife, Mallorca and Lanzarote books and maps for a number of years. This was the first time I have used one of their UK volumes.

The mapping (OS 1:25,000 reduced to 1:30,000) is not as clear as the Brawn's own cartography but unless we are willing to stump up for new surveying, I suppose we shouldn't grumble too much.

The selection of walks is good and includes a wide variety of terrain, difficulty and length to suit most walkers. The author is too free with his superlatives and the use of "we" (as in "we turn right at the next fingerpost") gets tedious. What's wrong with "Turn right at the next fingerpost"?

The photographs are very good; clear sharp and informative.

The format of the book follows the familiar house style with text wrapped around map segments. The relevant map is almost always paired with the related text - a significant achievement! The book' page size is long and thin (210 x 120mm) I would prefer a less skinny format to make it more pocket-friendly, but this is just personal preference.

Well worth the 4 stars.

Mike
on 26 February 2013
I havent tried this book out in the field yet, since I got it for a future holiday that we are planning for the summer, but flicking through it I'm impressed by it's contents and style. 40 walks from 5 to 11 miles long of varying degree of difficulty, with details of ascent/descent, refreshments en route etc, even GPS details for tech savvy walkers ( and maps for us old fashioned types!)
on 8 August 2011
One of the best walking books I have ever purchased, there is a choice of 40 separate walks on the Isle of Wight, many with "shorter" options, fantastically laid out with sections of Ordnance Survey maps, clear and detailed directions and GPS data info. Plan your walks simply - there's a map at the front showing which parts of the island they cover - and all the individual walks are rated for difficulty, with ascents and decents and "vertigo warnings" - which I took as a guide to the most exhilarating walks! Martin Simons also provides information about bus routes, pubs and cafes along the route, and information about relevant history, geology etc plus full colour photos. Our only complaint was that the timing estimates are not very generous - if you have children walking with you best to add +20% to the timings he gives. Our favourite walks were No 1 Tennyson Down and the Needles, with thrilling cliff edge action, and No 36, Bonchurch Challenge and the Devil's Chimmney, which is one of the most varied and enjoyable walks we have ever done. Though my legs are still aching a week afterwards.
on 17 February 2013
We visited the island for a week in February. We have been there many times & were looking for some walks we hadn't done before. We did the Bonchurch & St Helen's walks & revisited Culver cliffs & Tennyson Down. The descriptions were very good but the maps difficult to follow - we didn't use GPS & the numbers were not very clear.
Overall the best IOW walk book we have come across.
on 27 August 2012
Excellent walking guide plus interesting background info.

The walks are well-descibed and easy to follow - the grading system is great meaning you can choose a route that's the right difficulty and length for your requirements. Beautiful colour photos as well. Well done Martin Simons! The best Isle Of Wight walk book ever!