Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Fitbit

WARNING: SIm City will be an Online game only!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 55 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Mar 2012, 20:40:26 BST
Last edited by the author on 22 Dec 2012, 22:00:07 GMT
UK Couple says:
Sim City has the following restrictions (features) that have all been stated by Maxis employees:

You must be connected to the internet 100% of the time you are playing.
...... You must connect to Origin to load or save your city (see next item).
...... Games are saved to the cloud (EA Servers).
...... If you're net connection goes down for more than a couple of minutes then all gameplay since last save is lost.
...... The installed game is only half the software, the rest is on EA's Serves so requires a fast, reliable internet connection to transfer data.
...... Other players Cities will influence yours even in 'single player' mode.
...... Saved games once loaded must be saved so you can't change your mind and go back and reload the city.
...... If the game flops and servers are switched off (usually within a year) it will become unplayable.

No god mode terraforming. (This includes how much resources are available and where they are).
No modding allowed at launch (if at all due to online requirements/cloud computing).
No building density zoning.
Buildings may spam along a single road.
Dumbed down micro-management.
Limited population (Max 100,000 Sims per city)
The city tile size is only equivalent to a medium city in SC4, and that is the only size available.
You only get European building sets if you buy the game as a digital download direct from origin.

As I said all these items have all been confirmed/stated by EA/Maxis staff in various interviews so are not guess work...

Considering CitiesXL went down the 'shared online planet' root and it resulted in Monte Cristo Games going bust it seem madness!

Posted on 4 Apr 2012, 22:23:29 BST
C. Webber says:
No, EA did clarify that there is an offline mode. Check the link :) http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/28/simcity-to-require-always-on-internet-connection-to-origin/

Posted on 5 Jun 2012, 14:43:38 BST
UK Couple says:
http://kotaku.com/5915377/like-diablo-iii-sim-city-will-require-an-online-connection

That's me out then! I won't be buying this or anymore EA games. It's such a shame that they have done this.

Won't be back to this site again...

[quote]SimCity Is Online Only, But It Promises Not To Repeat Diablo III's Mistakes

EA's 2013 revival of SimCity will sport one of the more controvutterlyunzippedersial features of modern PC gaming: an always-online requirement, even in single-player.

Developers of the game confirmed this during a recent demo of the new title for Kotaku.

"This is a mutiplayer game," producer Kip Katserelis at EA development studio Maxis said, explaining the requirement. Yes, they even consider single-player to be multiplayer. "we're constantly tracking what you do... and then feeding that back to players." They're tracking who is polluting the most or who is playing better. They're spawning challenges for players. They're keeping everyone connected.

They're basically, like Blizzard, saying their latest game in a series that used to not require an online connection now will, and they, like Blizzard, are saying that it's fundamental to the way they want this new game played. If a gamer plays offline they would become out of synch with the game's perpetual tracking of the cities that, combined, comprise the sense of this new Sim City as one grand inter-connected world.

Sorry if you were hoping to play this on an airplane without Internet.

Asked an open-ended question about why they'd require online, the developers of the new game won't say the reason that's most commonly suspected for this kind of requirement: piracy. They will, however, provide some solace to those of us who fear that strict online-only requirements will cause our games to blink out if we're trying to play while connected to an Internet signal then tends to drop once in a while. The developers say they are programming this new Sim City to tolerate some undefined amount of "minutes" of offline play in the case of dropped connections-presumably an amount of minutes closer in length to a commercial break than a TV show, though they didn't want to say.

But what of the debacle of the Diablo III launch and the fury of players who couldn't play a game they wanted to play solo because Blizzard had trouble keeping its servers up and error-free?

"We've got experience from Spore and Darkspore," Katserelis said, citing other recent Maxis games. "EA is an on online company. We're definitely watching what's going on at Blizzard, and we're putting in backstops and checks to try to prevent those kind of things from happening."
[/quote]

Posted on 8 Jun 2012, 12:44:30 BST
Martin Rix says:
Surely this is an incentive to pirate the game. When (not if!) someone cracks it, you'd be able to play offline, where and when you want. It's stupid, punishing the people who BUY your game while the ones that pirate it feel no effect at all!

My plan: Buy physical copy, download patch (Or entire cracked copy if nessecerry)

Posted on 2 Aug 2012, 13:28:03 BST
UK Couple says:
Forced Online connection to play (both to run the game - DRM, and it forces your City to use resources from other peoples Cities), and they've now announced that there are no terraforming (God Mode) tools in it!! You have to use their pre-supplied regions/terrains!

They really seem hell bent on killing of this franchise!

Posted on 21 Dec 2012, 14:28:44 GMT
UK Couple says:
It's worse than we feared... EA have revealed that the game that you install is only half the software the rest uns on their servers, so you have to be connected 100% of the time you are playing, and there is no way a mod/crack/fix can get round that!

So unless you have a 100% reliable, fast internet connection, and are prepared for the game to be unplayable if it goes down then avoid.

Also, if this flops, as I suspect it will, EA will switch off the servers within a year rendering the game unplayable...

I won't be wasting my money on it!

Posted on 22 Dec 2012, 21:58:33 GMT
UK Couple says:
It's even worse than we thought, read this article:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/new-simcity-players-will-need-an-internet-connection-to-save-the-game/#ixzz2Ffhhbzta

The jist of it is:

The game needs a persistent Internet connection.

Players who lose their connection mid-game will be allowed "to play for as long as we can preserve your game state" a period that will "likely be minutes."

A user playing SimCity using an unstable web connection, is at risk from losing progress in the game simply because their connection dropped out.

The rigid nature of the persistent connection, is to the extent that the game can't be saved if the player loses their Internet connection.

The upshot is if your internet connection goes down and doesn't come back on within a couple of minutes all gameplay since the last save will be lost!!

Posted on 19 Jan 2013, 00:36:59 GMT
PC Mag article, 18 Jan 2013 - DRM, DLC, and Disrespect: What Square Enix and EA Are Doing Wrong

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414446,00.asp

EA confirmed that SimCity will require an active connection at all times, whether or not you play with other people or not. You will, however, be given some wiggle room: "We will allow you to play for as long as we can preserve your game state. This will most likely be minutes." This is simply unacceptable.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2013, 18:42:31 GMT
Yes it does. Check how old your link is. Looks at more recent news, like the one below where it has been confirmed by an EA spokesman.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/21/3791592/maxis-says-simcity-always-on-drm-necessary-for-running-properly-ea

Posted on 26 Jan 2013, 21:55:14 GMT
Mark43 says:
I received a beta invite last night, I've not been able to play it yet as I'm never able to connect to the busy servers.

I know its still beta and they need to test stuff like capacity, but this is the sort of nonsense you can expect when a game demands a persistent connection, any server issues and you can't play the game you've paid for....

Posted on 29 Jan 2013, 12:36:14 GMT
S. Stanfield says:
I have just cancelled my pre-order.
Learnt my lesson with settlers online - completely ruined the game - crashes every 10 mins or so IF you could get on the servers at all. EA seem to be trying to turn PC gamers into console gamers - they don't seem to have got it into their heads that there are those of us who choose to play offline and want customisability.
I suspect Sims 4 will go the same way, and I won't be buying that either

Posted on 31 Jan 2013, 12:36:30 GMT
A. Lack says:
Spore was alright with the online play and it could be played offline as long as you could connect everytime you went into a different planet, to retrieve that data.

Sim City (the name also deters me from buying call it SC5 ffs) is online game with other people....is it only me or did i want to build a city and region by myself? Cool it's online and everything is saved (less hardware space taken up) on to this big cloud (like spore) but do i have to play with people i do not know or like?

Plus, SC4 CTD every 5 minutes after you had 1million population unless you had a cpu of a giant brain or you have a over needed graphics card. The mods couldn't be easily placed into the game as they kept crashing it too. The last two sim cities have been a disgrace to the franchise. Bring back the original and the second sim city. Those were much much more exciting to play.

However, SC is the only city-simulation game out there. Cities XL is a load of bs, and requires a mammoth to run the game, and there are others but they are set in different times and require battle simulation to. (Glory of the Roman Empire, Settlers, Kings and Queens Edition etc etc). So really EA and devs know this...so they are tapping into it by pushing too far into new technology.

Posted on 31 Jan 2013, 17:05:28 GMT
Felt really excited when I first saw this was coming, but reading through looks like it'll be junk.
Many fond memories of SC2000. Less so of SC4 though.
I'll stick to Tropico I think... A far more beautiful setting and plenty of humour to break it up rather than worrying about unseen water pipes...

Posted on 6 Feb 2013, 17:59:42 GMT
Dean Kellham says:
I was very close to pre-ordering. I was so excited when I first found out about this revival. The game "looks" great but unfortunately that's where it ends. I think the multiplayer OPTION is great, but it should be an OPTION and not a necessity. I also think demanding paying customers be online and rely on servers to play a game is just wrong. This is not an MMO played on servers, this is a city customisation game that originated as (and has been since then) a single-player offline game. By all means add a multiplayer option, great, but do not insist upon it, and do not force us all to rely on the both our ISPs and EA servers just to play something that should be fine offline. I get close to switching ISPs every time I find myself unable to sign into Steam but at least steam offers offline play in that event, allowing you to play your games without the need for a constant internet connection. EA has long wished they were Valve but seem to ignore the fundamental features inherent within a digital distribution and drm solution!

Posted on 12 Feb 2013, 18:56:09 GMT
Pat says:
I've just cancelled my pre-order. I work away for long periods of time and do not have access to the Internet when I'm away at work.

So by paying for this "product" I don't actually see what I'm buying? The ability to play online assuming servers etc are working? Do I actually own anything by buying this or am I simply renting use of their servers???

Whatever the reasons I refuse to pay for this. Cancelled.

Posted on 13 Feb 2013, 10:29:05 GMT
Hesperus says:
Well, I am sorry, Amazon but if I have to have a continuous online presence I shall not be buying this. I want to build my own cities and not have them affected by anyonme else. There is the further issue of security. The danger of a hacker using the EA servers is far too great for comfort.

Posted on 17 Feb 2013, 15:06:15 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Feb 2013, 15:08:26 GMT
Mervyn says:
I'm a firm believer of, if you have more options for players they're happier players, take away those options and you get unhappy players - simple! I have a very decent broadband here, but even I'm turned off by this. I don't care what EA say, they should offer players more options for themselves, in order to be able to play the way they want to play the game, not to be put in a position that they don't wish to be in. So like most of the people within this discussion, I shall NOT be buying this game! And EA you need to listen to your customers before you go down this route in the future, of course unless you are a bunch of idiots and don't care what your customers want. OH and another thing, relying on the EA servers is like relying on the damn weather, I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than relying on EA servers!!

Posted on 17 Feb 2013, 15:18:17 GMT
Mr W says:
Hi all,
I'm not a huge PC gamer anymore so forgive my ignorance. But am I right in thinking that you won't be able to play this new Sim City game offline?

I only ask as I was really excited at the prospect of a new release, as SimCity 3000 is probably my all-time favourite PC game. and the mention of reliance on EA servers is enough to discourage me from buying, as I'm aware from playing Tiger woods golf on PS3, the servers crash with minimal usage.

Posted on 17 Feb 2013, 17:01:33 GMT
Matt says:
Actually, the European City features are included if you pre-order from game.co.uk and get their 'Collectors Edition'.

Posted on 17 Feb 2013, 22:01:41 GMT
BluePie says:
Dammit, just found out that there WAS a SC5 and already I've decided to avoid it.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Feb 2013, 06:18:19 GMT
C. B. says:
That's right, EA announced that this new SC requires an internet connection at ALL TIMES to play

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Feb 2013, 11:05:29 GMT
Mr W says:
Thanks for that Kio.
So effectively, all you're paying for is an online pass, packaged in a 'limited edition steelbook'. Why would there be a need for online with this game? Its not like it was designed originally for online multiplay, and the simplicity ofthe game lends itself to single offline player.

They sell the ipad version of sim city for as little as 59p so it seems that EA
greed has taken over by charging £35 for pc version and they're trying to justify it by making out you're getting something great because it's online.

Posted on 22 Feb 2013, 18:17:00 GMT
John D says:
For goodness sake. You all need to realise something... THIS IS NOT SC2000. It's a brand new game based on similar concepts, not a rehash with better graphics (that was SC4).

Maybe the new game won't suit us SC2000 fans, but the world has changed. You can't say they wouldn't have wanted it his way in the past, but the Internet wasn't up to it then... It is now.

Posted on 23 Feb 2013, 11:51:48 GMT
Deborah says:
Glad I read this - that's me out. Pre-order cancelled.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Feb 2013, 13:44:24 GMT
R Kugler says:
Absolutely agree - looks great, but that's where it ends.

I don't buy many games but this one evoked lovely memories of growing up- spending a perfectly good summer vacation day indoors playing SimCity 2000.

However, I will not be buying this game until EA get rid of this ridiculous always-online rule.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  37
Total posts:  55
Initial post:  31 Mar 2012
Latest post:  29 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

This discussion is about
SimCity - Limited Edition (PC DVD)
SimCity - Limited Edition (PC DVD) by Electronic Arts (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
1.9 out of 5 stars (363)