on 25 October 2007
I got this book as part of an Open University introductory short course. The book is written in a very clear and easy to read style. Although the author uses correct scientific terminology, all of the words are introduced when they are first used and there is a glossary for when you forget what something means! This book is a brilliant way for the layperson to learn something about the causes of natural disasters and how and why they can or cannot be predicted. At £6.99 Teach Yourself Volcanoes, Earthquakes and Tsunamis is an absolute bargain and has given me an understanding of the processes behind the devastation we see on the television news reports.
on 25 October 2007
This introduction to volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunamis really opened my eyes to how much is involved in each process, and how much they're interrelated. It packs a lot of information into just under 300 pages.
Over half the book's content is on volcanoes, but this does include some science which overlaps with the other topics, eg seismic waves. There are plenty of examples of all 3, and these include a human element, "keeping it real", rather than just a load of cold science.
The glossary was invaluable for reference as I went, and considering the limitations of black & white photos, the illustrations are helpful, and there were plenty of diagrams to explain the various processes. There are some colour plates in the middle of the book too.

As the basis for the OU short course I took, this was an excellent text, but it would also be fascinating reading for anyone with an interest in these phenomena who'd like to learn more.
on 14 November 2007
I too got this book as part of an OU course.

It's a comprehensive introduction to the subject of volcanoes, tsunamis and earthquakes with some really meaty chapters describing the events, but written in a style which is clear to understand.

Well worth the money.
on 21 December 2014
This is the second book that I have - b the other one I kept in the newly purchased house near the Komogatake volcano in Hokkaido, Japan. The book is quite easy to understand and will on my book case of 'my reference treatises however I do not understand why he has used 'sulfur' instead of 'sulphur' -- I thought that it is a 'English' textbook rather than an 'American' one.with all its vulgarities of spellings and grammar.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 October 2013
Great book. Neatly works through all the key topics in a straight forward manner. Uses jargon where need, but explains thoroughly. You need to concentrate though because he says it all only once! I'm flicking back through to remind myself what something is frequently.
My only gripe is nothing to do with the book or author. It's the kindle formatting which is inconsistent. Not all the figures in the text are linked so i'm scratting through pages to look for the relevant diagram and then scratting back to the text. Similarly there are plates referenced and not linked and i haven't even found those yet!
Think i'll stick to paper version for text books in future.
on 23 August 2015
I personally know the author - however that is not the reason I have the book (I was given it by my 8 year old grand-daughter). People assume that as a geologist I know all the answers and then some to all the geological questions they pose. This book is directed to the layman, secondary school student or teacher and even university students who want a quick insight. Unfortunately - as is always the case, the moment it was published it became dated - because geological events overtake the publication. That should be a cue for the reader to search diligently for information. I let my grandchildren read it and indeed any of my other books, but if in reading this book they embrace the career I did then it can only be a good thing. Jarold is supposed to have said "A blessed companion is a book," Let this book full-fill that statement - read, absorb and learn. Then you may go forth and question but be aware you will want to know more and more and ....
on 1 November 2011
In keeping with most of the reviews, this cheap book, is a must have before, spending real money on the actual course with the OU., which David has had a major input towards.
I would say however, that Davids use of Geological terms, is a bit old money compared to S104 terminology. ie. Constructive plate boundaries, instead of divergent plate boundaries, etc. etc., and types of faulting also, but that is nit picking, compared to the overall content, and well worth reading ahead, as most contributers, have mentioned.

Les. J. second year OU.
on 27 October 2011
Very good service. The book itself is very interesting and informative but unless you have a technical kind of mind, even though technical terms are simplified and explained well, you will need good periods of quiet to be able to concentrate.
on 15 January 2013
Having just read Teach yourself Geology this is a great follow on. There some repetition but I am sure the books were not necessarily written as Book 1 & 2. I would say either book can be read first but I would suggest starting with Geology as it covers a more general view of Geology it meaning and aspects, while this book covers Volcanoes, Earthquakes and Tsunamis possibly the most exciting area of geology.......
Again the author writes in a very easy manor giving full details built up gradually through the book.
on 16 June 2013
Although informative, this book is rather difficult to read due to it's odd construction. I persevered but had to give up. I'm sure there are other books that read easier for the curious mind.