Top positive review
33 people found this helpful
strong and useful
on 18 February 2014
EDIT: This review is for the 20 stainless steel wire keychains. When I wrote this review the wire keychains were the only item being sold and the page had a good reviews, then plastic tags get slipped in on the same page to give the impression that the products overall have a high rating. It is wrong and misleading to do it and I am seeing it happen more often!
I needed a few strong temporary ties and these looked like they might just do the job. They exceeded my expectations.
I have no idea what the breaking strain of these are, but I am guessing it is high. They are simple little devices that consist of a 15cm (6 inch) length of stainless steel wire that is fitted with a sliding knurled collar. This collar slides up the wire to a steel nipple stopper and the other end of the wire is terminated with a small threaded bar. The threaded bar is brought around to the collar and the collar is screwed onto the threaded bar. That is it, loop complete. If you need longer lengths these will piggy back for as many as you need.
A few things to be careful of:
1. As the wire is looped the threaded bar meets the collar at a slight angle. Make sure that you line the bar and collar up straight before you tighten it or you may cross thread the collar.
2. I had one where there was a stray wire thread that didn't get crimped in with the steel nipple. Not a problem, still as strong, but the stray thread could easily puncture a finger if you don't notice it.
3. You can only hand tighten these. If you use pliers you risk damaging the wire or jamming it to the point you can't release it by hand.
4. Check the tightness of the screw periodically. I haven't had one work loose, but Murphy's law says that if anything can go wrong, it will go wrong - and usually with the most expensive item you have secured.
5. These will permanently kink if you bend them too tightly or fold them.
These are really great devices and every tool box should have a handful of them. Plenty of uses limited by your imagination.