on 3 October 2013
I have taken vit D combined with cal and mag for years. Recently adding some K2. My logic being, that having worked on an orthopaedic ward that I didn't want to end up with a fractured femur after the menopause. However something else has happened. Following a epidemic of influenza a couple of years ago I was the last man standing. I watched my colleges go down one by one and knew that it was eventually going to get me but it didn't . Following on from this it dawned on me that I'm never ill. I've not had a cold for over fifteen years and my annual bouts of tonsillitis have also long gone. I casually mentioned this to a person who was talking about how nutrition can help us with our immunity. She immediately asked if I was taking vit D. When I said I was, for prevention against loss of bone density after the menopause, she told me that was the reason why I didn't get ill. So this book backs up this theory. It would be great if it prevented all the other things mentioned as that would mean that I unwittingly have set my self up for a healthier life in my old age. I am now wondering, if at 50 that my ability to be more active than many of my friends is also down to vit D. This has the added benefit of saving me from the dreaded middle age spread. I don't mean going to the gym every day. I never go there. I just seem to be able to do more on less sleep. Who knows ????
20 people found this helpful
on 21 July 2017
This book may have been revolutionary at the time of writing, but it is very out of date. It advocates much lower vitamin D3 doses than Dr Coimbra to stop calcium build up in the arteries... HOWEVER... we now know that the addition of vitamin K2 keeps the arteries clear and puts the calcium into the bones where it should be, so much higher doses of D3 can be taken very safely for the vast majority of people. I'm taking 80,000 iu currently, as well as cofactors such as K2, magnesium, chromium picolinate, and B2. This is for bowel disease and seems to be working. The website for updates no longer exists, either. Anyone interested in taking D3 to cure or treat disease should look for something more recent, where the author understands the relationship between D3 and K2.
on 23 May 2015
Having just been diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency myself I came home from the doctors and downloaded this book onto my Kindle. It is so informative. Why didn't I know all this year's ago. I've been suffering with fatigue for years. Having previously been told by a doctor that I was just lazy!
I'm glad that I finally have an answer to my fatigue and just want to start reclaiming my life to the full. I am determind to spread the word about vitamin D and help my family members with this information. A great book. So glad I got it. A must read.
4 people found this helpful
on 17 January 2014
Having just been told after tests that I was D deficient, I felt it important to read up about it! This book helped a lot to make me realise how important it is to get enough D...plus the need to include other vitamins eg K2 nd A, in my nutrition plan. I am now doing this...doc prescribed 50,000iu a month minimum. This is a well written book, a lay person can understand it.
4 people found this helpful
on 30 August 2015
Very interesting book for anyone who takes a genuine interest in health. You will see this essential universal compound in a whole new light. I've taken copious amounts every day since I read it and never been sick once since - over two years! But don't miss the importance of vitamin K too. Check out Kate Rheaume Bleue - Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox.
on 19 September 2015
This is quite a small book but I am sure he is right about deficiency of D3 causing lots of illnesses of the modern world. I have Polymyalgia and low Vitamin D and I am now taking 4000iu per day on doctors advice. I am hoping it will be helpful.
on 25 May 2014
I'm in the process of re-reading this book after reading info on Vitamin K2 and other articles and another book on D3. The research and information hits a good balance: well written and accessible to the lay person without being dumbed down. Thoroughly enjoyed this book and am feeling the benefit of taking both vitamins mentioned.
on 20 May 2016
Seemed to be more of a marketing book marketing certain products.
on 9 March 2013
Well written, eye opening book.If only I or every body in the World had that information they would be clamouring for Vitamin D-----Doctors dont know everything! , Vitamin rda's havnt changed since the late 1920's when most were discovered.
Buy the book folks and live the rest of your life healthier!-----Avidal.
on 31 May 2014
Similar material to 'Power of Vitamin D' and 'Miraculous Mesults'. So I would call this book good but not great. As I had just read the other two I felt a bit overloaded by a third one and found I was revisiting material too often and only skimmed parts of it. If I had come to it first perhaps I would have been more enthused.