on 8 March 2009
I've just upgraded from the original VS 2002, I wanted to start using some of the newer controls for a new project.
My primary usage is ASP.Net, in VB.
Now the first thing I noticed was that new tabs are opened on the left rather than the right. I don't know which muppet at Microsoft thought this was a good idea, but they were 100% wrong! It seems a trivial thing, but it just constantly annoys, every time you open a new window. Microsoft really need to address this, every other tabbing system opens new tabs on the right, it's just common sense.

The other major problem is the speed of the IDE, sometimes editing a page with 2 dozen controls on it can take 20 seconds to refresh! That's using XP on a 9600 quad core machine, 4 GB ram and raid 0 drives!
I've downloaded patches and disabled features I don't need but it's still easily 4 times slower than VS 2002. These speed issues come and go, with no apparent pattern, and disk usage becomes excessive.

These two problems can seriously extend development times.
There can be no excuse from microsoft, this should never have got out of beta testing.

It's a real shame because I really like the new features.

I'm hoping microsoft will release some patches to fix these issues soon.
With these out of the way, it would be an amazing product.
on 14 September 2009
Very good product.
Upgrade works with registered express editions.
No problems, a good buy.