Visual Magick: A Manual of Freestyle Shamanism Paperback – 5 Jan 2007
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Marty Fries is a technology consultant who has been involved with computers for over 30 years. He has worked as audio engineer, toured nationally for a major record label mixing live sound, and has designed and built stereo equipment. He plays piano and organ for The Cutouts Blues Band, and lives in Laurel, Maryland.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
That was over two years ago. I have changed a lot in that time and picked up "Visual Magick" more from a sense of vague nostalgia than pure interest. Might I say how very glad I am that I did!
Fries is one of a rare breed of writers who writes literature that can only be termed as "an experience". This is not a manual for the armchair psychonaut! As Mike Ingalls respectfully states in the preface,"Jan's Magick is of the arm-swinging,twirling, climb-the-tree active form of magick". This is most certainly true, Fries being a confirmed believer that experience is the best teacher. In an age of Convenience, this is fresh thinking.
I especially recommend this book to those who feel burnt out, having explored other magical paths and found it all rather lacking. Fries offers more than simply an alternative to boring, pompous ceremony. He embraces the heretical concept of FUN! After all, there are enough sour faces and starched collars in the world as it is. The last thing we want is to make our inner world rigid and monotonous too!
In short, "Visual Magick" is accessible, enjoyable, entertaining and, importantly, PRODUCTIVE! By embracing the tenets of some of the world's oldest spiritual practices, especially Taoism and Shamanism, a new light is brought into the modern age. The focus is very much on active participation on the part of the reader, but the results are deservedly life changing. An excellent book by a remarkable man.
If this book appeals to you, I also recommend "Living Midnight" by Jan Fries, "Liber Null & Psychonaut" by Peter J. Carroll and "The Tao of Pooh" by Benjamin Hoff.
Bought his Helrunar just for good measure :-)
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The real deal
better than Paul Daniels!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Cognition & Cognitive Psychology
- Books > Mind, Body & Spirit > Occultism > Magic
- Books > Mind, Body & Spirit > Thought & Practice > New Age
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > New Age > Earth-Based Religions > Magic & Alchemy
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > New Age > Earth-Based Religions > Shamanism
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > New Age > Earth-Based Religions > Wicca
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > New Age > Occult > Shamanism