- Paperback: 297 pages
- Publisher: Oxford University Press; 2 edition (12 Oct. 2006)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0198524722
- ISBN-13: 978-0198524724
- Product Dimensions: 23.1 x 1.8 x 15.5 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 593,522 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
The Visual Brain in Action (Oxford Psychology Series) Paperback – 12 Oct 2006
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From a review of the previous edition:
This book is a modern classic, whose impact has reverberated through neuroscience, psychology, and philosophy. Supported by a compelling combination of empirical evidence and theoretical synthesis, Milner and Goodale's framework has reoriented our understanding of the relations between perception, action, and consciousness. (David Chalmers, Professor of Philosophy and Director of the Centre for Consciousness, Australian National University, and author of 'The Conscious Mind'.)
About the Author
Professor Milner gained his first degree in Psychology, Philosophy and Physiology, at the University of Oxford in 1965, and went on to obtain a Postgraduate Diploma in Psychology (Abnormal) from the University of London in 1966. He was awarded a PhD in Experimental Psychology from the University of London in 1971. He worked as a MRC Research Assistant with the late Dr George Ettlinger at the Institute of Psychiatry, London, between 1966 and 1970 before moving to the University of St Andrews. Here he held a number of positions, including Professor of Neuropsychology and Dean of the Faculty of Science, until he left in 2000 to take up his current position as Professor of Cognitive Neuroscience at the University of Durham. Professor Milner has given numerous invited lectures, and has published 6 books and over 130 book chapters and refereed journal articles. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh in 1992. Professor Goodale has published more than 150 chapters and research articles, and is a frequent invited speaker at international meetings. In addition to his research activities, he has been active in developing the graduate program in Neuroscience at Western, for which he was awarded the prestigious E.G. Pleva Award for Contributions to Teaching in 1994. Professor Goodale serves on the editorial board of a number of journals including Experimental Brain Research, Neuropsychologia, Debates in Neuroscience, and Advances in Cognitive Psychology. He is the past-President of the Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness. In 1999, Professor Goodale was awarded the D.O Hebb Award by the Canadian Society for Brain, Behaviour, and Cognitive Science in recognition of his distinguished scientific achievements. In 2001, he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada. In 2006, Professor Goodale was award tthe Hellmuth Prize for Achievement in Research.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta) (May include reviews from Early Reviewer Rewards Program)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Internal Medicine > Neurology & Clinical Neurophysiology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Cognition & Cognitive Psychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Neuropsychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Schools of Thought > Evolutionary Psychology
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Evolution
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine
- Books > Science & Nature > Popular Science > Human Biology > The Brain
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Biology > Neuroscience
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Academic Philosophy