I bought this to make it easy to transit to VB2010 from 2008.

It does a good job of giving a beginner/intermediate programmer the general detail of this language. To note, I'm a relative beginner using simple SQL statements and basic windows forms to do the simple things I need. So I can't comment on LINQ and all the advanced areas.

I give it a 4 star rather than 5 purely because I have the 2008 version as well, and there is only small differences between the two books.

To be fair to the authors, at my level there are not so many differences in the languages either! Any tips I found for 2008 online and in that book have so far applied to Visual Basic 2010.

It does the job just fine if this is the first book you get on VB2010 and you don't have the previous volume. If you do, then go onto Microsoft's sight and look at the new language features articles (found within the start page of Visual Studio 2010) instead.
on 23 October 2011
I recommend this book, it covers a lot and explains most things very well. I'm not sure that it would suit an absolute beginner, it's perhaps more suitable as a second book.

The reference sections at the end are particularly useful.

However, there are still some omissions, and subjects that could have been covered in more detail - this is perhaps to be expected with such a large subject.
on 8 September 2012
This appears to be a comprehensive book for the subject, with lots of good examples.

It is seriously let down by the index though. The index consists of a list of terms (good start) but with no links, and even worse not even page numbers so the items can be reached manually.
on 15 April 2010
this book should be titled VB for beginners, this have nothing to do with the frame work 4 or any new features, waste of money
on 19 July 2010
My title says it all. This covers all the basics and gets into a lot of the advanced topics too.

Recommended