on 3 September 2014
The story in this book is good, I like it and I enjoyed reading it. Though I do find it a bit annoying that the doctor through the entire book is called Zimmerman and that Janeway at one point calls Chakotay "Number One". This book was released after an entire season of Voyager, so I can't help but think that the writer should know better than that. But in her defence I do have to say that she, if you overlook these mistakes, portray the characters in a good and believable way. I recognize their different personalities from the tv-series and find it interesting to read about how they tackle this situation. I also found the Tutopans and their society to be of some interest. So inspite a few mistakes I would say this is a good book.
on 5 September 1999
Not a bad offering overall, but whoever says this is the *best* Voyager book ever written obviously hasn't read too many! Unlike someone else, I enjoyed the planet's political situation. But I got *very, very, quite, extremely bored* when reading about the Doctor's "illness." It seemed like half the book was Kes and Harry standing in front of a computer in sickbay, trying to figure out what was causing his condition. Come *on*--they exchanged medical jargon like two dueling dictionaries. If you read this one, do it to see Captain Janeway and B'Elanna Torres as helpless hostages--an interesting position for those two characters, especially--NOT to see the Holodoc get sick.
on 5 December 1998
"Violations" is by far the best written Trek Novel I've ever had the pleasure of reading! Characterization is perfect and adult.. not a "kiddie" as the Television series.. the characters actually act more like human beings! It also has a great storyline to boot! I've never read anything better!