- Paperback: 208 pages
- Publisher: Amberley Publishing; UK ed. edition (15 Mar. 2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1848682107
- ISBN-13: 978-1848682108
- Product Dimensions: 17.2 x 1.5 x 24.8 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (10 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 467,867 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Vindolanda: A Roman Frontier Fort on Hadrians Wall Paperback – 15 Mar 2009
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
About the Author
Robin Birley was formerly the Director of Excavations at the Roman site of Vindolanda, and now heads the Vindolanda research committee. The son of Eric Birley (his family home was thus the Chesterholm Museum at Vindolanda), he worked as a Royal Marine and then a teacher before giving this up to run the Vindolanda Trust and excavate the site. He has over 50 years of excavation experience on that site (as well as directing numerous other excavations at other sites such as Housesteads), over thirty of which have been as director of the Vindolanda Trust (he is one of its founding members). Birley is perhaps best known for his discovery inthe 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s of the first Vindolanda writing tablets to be excavated. He is also responsible for the excavations of most of the remains visible on the site today.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top Customer Reviews
The book needs to be retitled Vindolanda; excavation of a Roman Frontier fort.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Our daughter is looking forward to going on a Dig at Vindolanda. This will be a useful and interesting book for her to enjoy in the meantime.Published 4 months ago by Carters
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Ancient History & Civilisation > Greece
- Books > History > Ancient History & Civilisation > Rome
- Books > History > Europe > Great Britain > Early British & Roman Britain
- Books > History > Europe > Great Britain > England
- Books > History > Social & Cultural
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Archaeology > By Period > Classical Greek & Roman
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Archaeology > By Region