on 24 May 2012
I chose this particular knife because it had the selection of blades I needed. I wanted a legal carry knife to use instead of carrying my usual Leatherman which has a locking blade (making it illegal to carry around in the UK without a valid reason) I do miss the usefulness of Leatherman pliers but other than that this is a reasonably good replacement. Both blades were razor sharp on arrival as was the saw. I do a lot of wood whittling and find the blades hold their edge well (not as good as an Opinel, but they have locking blades of high carbon steel) considering they are stainless steel. The only real criticism I have is the lanyard connector which gave me a blister when carving spoons, That was soon solved with a couple of minutes use of an angle grinder and some fine wet and dry paper. Not being a wine drinker I dont miss the corkscrew usually found on this type of knife, in fact I looked for a knife without one.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 January 2013
Top choice of tools for hiking/camping and EDC.
Great swiss quality, the saw does a lovely job and the whole knife is very durable.
All this for a funny price, but you really get a piece of craftsmanship that will serve a lifetime
I am so happy that there is no corkscrew, but a phillips screwdriver instead.
If you need scissors too, look for the Victorinox Huntsman or Fieldmaster

Detail: 91mm lenght, 3 layers, 6cm blade (NON-locking, UK carry legal), 6.8cm saw blade
the handles are a scratch magnet so its best to get a 2-4 layer belt pouch for it
I have the largest and smallest Victorinox knives and wanted something more sensible for camping. One thing I hate about most knives is the corkscrew. This might be there for Europeans who love their wine, but I'd never use it and it's just a waste of space to me. What I like about the Hiker is that there's no corkscrew and it's replaced by a Philips screwdriver. Admittedly, not much better than a corkscrew for camping, but at least it's something I might use sometime.

The knife is pretty small and light, much more so than my over-the-top Swiss Champ, so it's now part of my overnight pack. Quality is as you'd expect, which is good. The price is cheap as well, so definitely a good buy if you don't get uncontrollable urges to uncork wine bottles in the great outdoors.
77 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 June 2015
Unless you want the expense, size and weight silliness of the Swisschamp model you need to choose the best tool selection for your needs. The Hiker is a member of a small family of Victorinox SAKs that doesn't feature the outdated by the screwtop, corkscrew. Secondly it is a member of a subset without corkscrew that doesn't feature scissors. The Hiker is a Tinker with a saw, the Super Tinker being a Tinker plus scissors.

So you have to decide which model best meets your needs. In choosing the Hiker I chose a saw over scissors for days out in the country. In town I'd be happy with the slightly thinner and slightly lighter Tinker. I don't see the point of the Super Tinker model which features scissors but no nail file.

Usual Victorinox quality at an amazing price.
on 31 March 2016
Great quality and good value at the @£12.50 I paid.

Would prefer scissors to the saw included, but can't complain at the price. Very much like that it has the Philips screw driver instead of corkscrew...

Nice and light - thinner than my Huntsman and significantly less bulky than my Handyman.

Would recommend...
on 8 July 2016
Simply brilliant. I bought this as a direct replacement for one I thought I'd lost but after many years had a broken blade anyway. It has just enough things you need on it without being cumbersome. I carry mine with me all the time and use it around the home and office but more so on the farm. I feel lost without it. Highly recommended and at the price it was an easy purchase to make.
on 14 December 2015
Very pleased with this as a handy knife for taking on camping treks. I haven't needed to test the limits of the serrated knife (they call it a saw knife) but it certainly works cutting through plastic where a smooth knife edge might struggle a bit. Admittedly, I don't like a knife that is not fixed, because of the danger of the knife closing onto you and causing injury, but I wanted something that was multi-tooled and that was UK legal. Since this was for camping and hiking it is fine.
on 7 July 2016
A quality product and it shows. The Philips style screw driver is (for me) much more useful than the usual corkscrew. Very useful for replacing batteries. Again Amazon Prime delivery makes this product almost worth 5 stars.
on 31 December 2012
the perfect UK Legal carry knife.

It has everything a prepper needs,
It has a sharp saw,
A good sharp main blade,
A little blade which I use the most,
A Pair of tweezers which aren't the best but they work
An Awl,
A Bottle Opener
A Tin Opener
A Flat Head Screw Driver and a Philips Screwdriver
It is sturdy and well built, I cant see any reason why it shouldn't last for years
on 16 May 2014
This arrived as promised within the dates and was well packaged. I bought it for my son who is in the Scouts and he particularly wanted this model as it had the saw tool on it which he said would be handy when on Scout camps. It is small and light and well made.