TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 July 2013
Despite being a normal man otherwise, I have always enjoyed owning sharp and useful knives. My favourite pocket knives are the Opinel range, which are excellent. However they are a single bladed knife, and having lost my original Swiss Army camping knife, I thought I'd replace it with a new one.

Positive points are that they are still pretty well made. The materials used are good quality and the springs are set perfectly: Not too stiff to get out, not too weak to hold the blade in place. It's an ideal pocket knife for light, miscellaneous use.

However the finish on the saw is just awful. It's rough and still has bits of swarf (machined metal shavings) hanging off it. I'll upload a couple of pics to show you what I mean. Other than that, all is good. The plastic "toothpick" or whatever it is remains pointless IMO, and would be better replaced by a needle-file, or even a sharp pin/spike for that matter. But all the other blades (and tweezers) are as useful as always.

Overall it's a nice, budget penknife and well worth the money. I was disappointed to see the poor machining, but it's worth noting that Swiss Army knives are WAY cheaper than they used to be, so I guess that explains it. You have to cut some corners to lower the price, but by doing so, this Swiss Army knife has lost the aura of craftsmanship that it once had.
review imagereview image
22 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 April 2015
Always have one of these with me. The classic pocket knife, enough to be useful but not excessive with 'gadgets' and add-ons . I've had on of these SAK since being a Boy Scout. Unfortunately, when after a skiing holiday I arrived at Verona airport security I still had my SAK in my jeans pocket. I gave it, as a gift, to one of the security men & apologised for being an idiot and not putting it in my hold luggage (which I did on the way out of UK airport).

So, I have had to buy another one. I felt naked without it...lol
on 14 April 2013
I have many penknives / utility knives, some I have bought myself, some bought for me by others. One in the car, one in my fishing box, one in my motorbike toolkit, one in my home tool box, one in the garden shed, etc.

I bought this one as one of my old knives is getting a bit old and worn. I wanted a rugged, tough knife, with handy tools, saw, etc. This one seemed to fit the bill. Its a nice knife, very well made, it feels heavy, and the blades snap back in to place with a click, which is reassuring. It will be ideal for DIY, gardening, camping, hunting, fishing and general use.

I think it will last years.... Recommended....
on 8 March 2015
Great tool, knives are amazingly sharp and I now carry this almost everywhere I go!
One niggle would be that some of the tools are slightly hard to access... But that's
only a small niggle as I always seem to be able to get them out in the end :D
I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone wanting a really solid,
well made knife!
on 3 March 2015
After finding out that carrying my trusty Opinel could in theory land me in bother I wanted the most inoffensive UK legal knife possible. The SAK fits the bill perfectly and now lives in my pocket.
In hindsight the corkscrew is a waste of time and I should have got the one with the Phillips driver but that doesn't detract from the fact this is a quality tool.
on 26 December 2017
Had mine for mamy many years and but these as gifts. Always appreciated and people find them surprisingly useful.
on 28 September 2010
Three years a go i lost my fathers lovely mauser army pen knife and he has never let me forget it!! i bought him a replacement and it just never lived upto to expectations . So after some research i bought him this victorinox army knife and he is delighted with it. It has all the extras he likes such as a saw blade and a narrow tool and so far he is very impressed with its quality and tools. So i am back in good books but i am not allowed to borrow it!!
on 25 June 2016
The knife sent is not whats pictured and not the camper knife as it has no saw
on 30 January 2017
Perfect - a great replacement for my previous knife which I inadvertently left in my carry-on bag and, as such, was (quite rightly) confiscated at airport security!
on 17 February 2015
This is a quality product. It replaces one I had for a number of years, and then lost. I give the replacement four stars rather than five because I should have chosen the version with scissors, and I am regretting their loss.