Customer reviews

Victorians (Eyewitness)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 March 2017
like it but more for children than adults, should have checked before i ordered it.
on 9 November 2011
I purchased this book as my 8yr old grandson is studying Victorians at school and it is great reading and the illustrations are really good.
on 18 August 2014
i'm in my 30's and have just recently started reading classic literature. That means mostly 19th century England settings. i bought this book along with 2 books about the Victorian Era written for adults for 2 reasons - I learn better when I have a lot of visuals, and i planned to enlarge some pictures for my wall if i liked them. So I started to look through the book and ended up reading every word, and it gave me a great basis for reading the adult books. I did not attend high school in the states nor grow up in England, so most of the information was new to me.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 April 2014
I don’t recall history being taught in my junior school at all, though it was immediately on the timetable at senior school and throughout my time there. I think this book sits perfectly for an11 year old to get stuck in to, though when the ‘Victorian Era’ comes up for study may of course come later on in their learning, and certainly if the history is taught by date!
Apparently a lot of schools are watering down the amount of history taught at school and pupil wise it's becoming less popular – this can’t be right surely as it’s essential IMHO to know what’s gone on before? History is certainly one of the most interesting and enjoyable subjects to attend? I know I really enjoyed it and still do at 60!
This book has only 40 pages but is packed with everything ‘Victorian’ and I thoroughly recommend it as a first class overview. It has a beautiful painting of Victoria with her family on the inner. From hereon it’s just full of information & excellent illustrations about a wonderful age in our history. It certainly makes me appreciate what a hard life my grandparents had?
on 29 November 2014
I bought this for my 8year old for a project on Victorians.
He loved this.
Easy to read and find information.
It had a fabulous poster inside which was ideal for giving to his school.
Recommended to all
on 24 December 2015
Great product, swift delivery, highly recommended
on 13 July 2015
Product as described and fit for purpose
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 June 2013
I've given this book five stars, because in the right hands for the right child it's a great book, but there are a few caveats.

It's a book to have at home or the classroom for when your child or class is undertaking a Victorians project, but it's not an ideal book to give to a primary school child to use on their own. Rather, it needs to be read and interpreted by an adult as they use it. It's full of great information, but the reading demand is rather high.

If you're looking for something that a primary child can use on his or her own, perhaps look at Horrible Histories. THE VILE VICTORIANS which has the advantage of being a bit cheaper, and comes in a very good Kindle version as well.

If you're a teacher, buy perhaps a couple of copies to have in school. If you're a parent, only buy it if you're prepared to use the book with your child.
on 4 September 2014