Victorian and Edwardian Houses: A Guide to Care and Maintenance Hardcover – 2 Dec 2008
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Janet Collings is a conservation architect and author who studied practical conservation under the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings' travelling scholarship scheme. She works to ensure a useful future for all old buildings, from nationally-important Grade I-listed buildings through to forgotten semi-derelict cottages. Janet co-founded the www.oldhouse.info website to help promote the understanding of traditional building and her knowledge of old houses comes from living in, and personally repairing, Victorian and Edwardian homes. Resident - Essex
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
I found this book very general in its advice and descriptions, and it didn't tell me much more than I already knew. It is not a quick reference book either where you can choose a subject and gain a lot of information about it before going to a reclamation yard.
For example, I have tried to use this book for info on skirting boards, picture rails, fireplaces, internal doors, floor finishes to name a few subjects but it didn't give me the information I wanted:
- when torus type skirting boards were used as opposed to ogee;
- what height a picture rail should be (all it says, numerous times, is that they are good for hanging pictures from - you don't say!);
- whether to use a glazed door in a more 'working class' Victorian house
- what style of fireplaces to use in various rooms and what period the various designs date from (it even says not to use salvaged fireplaces as they are likely to come from another house, which has therefore been deprived of its features!);
- how to lay tiles on a suspended timber floor;
With the title 'A Guide to Care & Maintenance', I expected that this book would provide answers for the above questions amongst others but found myself looking elsewhere every time.
I bought it specifically for my son as he is renovating an old Edwardian property,
I found it so interesting I read it before I gave it to him.
It detailed items really well & the pictures were great as they helped him tell what items were in keeping with the age of the property we will certainly keep it as a reference book.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Architecture > Types of Architecture > Residential Buildings > Houses & Flats
- Books > Home & Garden > DIY & Home Improvements > Home Extensions & Renovation
- Books > Home & Garden > DIY & Home Improvements > Household Hints
- Books > Home & Garden > Interior Design & Decoration > Styles & Decor
- Books > Reference > Transport > Automotive > Repair