Verdi Requiem - EMI Masters Double CD
|Price:||£11.29 & FREE Delivery in the UK on orders over £20. Details|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
I will ship by EMS or SAL items in stock in Japan. It is approximately 7-14days on delivery date. You wholeheartedly support customers as satisfactory. Thank you for you seeing it.
Top Customer Reviews
My credentials for saying so are merely my own pair of ears, forty years of listening to this piece live and in recordings and as a collector of thirty-plus versions, most of which I find superior to this one.
First of all, the recording has peaking and overloading problems inherent in the master tape which will not be addressed by another re-mastering; the 1997 engineering is probably the best that can be achieved. It doesn't bother me much but it's there and will be a more important factor for audiophiles.
Secondly, it may be that Giulini takes the more spiritual approach that some require in this work but for me that results in some loss of excitement and tension in what is undeniably a supremely operatic and histrionic treatment of liturgical music. Again, this is not key but other versions are simply more involving and moving.
Thirdly, the soloists are neither uniformly good not necessarily aptly voiced for their roles. I instantly exempt Ghiaurov from that observation; he is simply immense, flawless and a model for all subsequent interpreters. Ludwig is very good but sometimes shrieks and sounds far less comfortable than in her later recording with Karajan; she blends far less well with Schwarzkopf than they did in the Böhm "Così" from around the same time. The real trouble starts with Schwarzkopf and Gedda; she positively screams in the "Salva Me" of the quartet in the "Dies Irae" and too often mews and swoons where solid tone is needed.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This was the very first Verdi Requiem I came across, and although the Solti with Sutherland(Gloriously remastered) has since superceded it, I look forward to hearing it again.Published 12 months ago by islandmusiclover
This is the definitive recording for anyone with an interest in sacred music, Verdi or just classical music in general. Read morePublished on 20 July 2013 by Jack Saffery-Rowe
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for similar items by category
- CDs & Vinyl > Classical > Choral > Requiems
- CDs & Vinyl > Classical > Opera & Song > Operas > Bass
- CDs & Vinyl > Classical > Opera & Song > Operas > Mezzo-Soprano
- CDs & Vinyl > Classical > Opera & Song > Operas > Soprano
- CDs & Vinyl > Classical > Opera & Song > Operas > Tenor
- CDs & Vinyl > EMI Classics > All EMI Classics
- CDs & Vinyl > EMI Classics > Classical Instrumental
- CDs & Vinyl > EMI Classics > Opera & Vocal