on 29 June 2012
I needed a tripod for a new solar telescope I had bought. The telescope itself was lightweight, and was recommended for use on a camera tripod. Having used 'Velbon' as a hide clamp for both a spotter scope and DSLR camera I knew it would work well with the new scope - and it has.

The tripod itself is very light - but also adaptable and easy to use. It can be raised to around 2 metres, and has a head that can be manipulated in just about any way possible! It can pan (ideal for following sports or a flock of birds) can be raised or lowered - and more importantly locked at any angle up to around 160 degrees. I initially had a problem with looking at the sun directly overhead - the tilt mechanism would not quite reach that far. The solution came by extending the height of one of the legs - thus giving the angle needed for comfortable viewing.

For photographers the supplied head also has a 'flip and lock' mechanism to quickly and safely change from landscape to portrait without having to remove the camera from the tripod.

All in all I am very pleased with this tripod; it is easily adaptable to many different uses and hobbies - and when used it can be folded down to a mere 60 cm (2 ft). It even looks good, too!
on 8 November 2013
This tripod is offered as part of a telescope kit from a well known UK optics firm. As I already had the same telescope, I decided to get the matching tripod. If they recommended it, it must be right for the job.Before buying online, I got to look at the tripod in a High Street photography shop. It seemed very sturdy and well put together, so I decided to have a look on the internet to see what I could get one for. As with all internet shopping, I think you should to weigh up price with the reliability of the supplier. Buy at a good price from someone you trust will provide a good service. I eventually got one through Amazon at almost half the price it was selling for by the UK optics firm, so it certainly pays to shop around. One final point on tripods for birdwatching. Even if you've got a lightweight scope like I have, don't waste your money on the cheapest ( and lightest ) tripods which are sold on the High Street. They may be alright for a bit of indoor photography, but when you're out in the field, you need something solid that's going to hold your scope firmly and not blow over in the wind. I learned this lesson to my cost. Save weight on the scope, not the tripod. On the other hand, if you have got a lightweight scope, you don't need a massively heavy tripod to hold it. Just go with what the experts recommend.
The Velbon 200R has a removable centre column, so in a bird hide you can attach it to a hide clamp. I found it fitted the clamp produced by another manufacturer which i already had, so it has saved me having to buy the Velbon version.
on 7 February 2013
I've had Velbon's for my last 3 tripods as I give them a lot of abuse (seascape photography, so sand, salt water, the works) and I can't justify spending £300 on a carbon fibre Gitzo. These are solidly built and have great heads on them. Good value for money if you ask me.
on 22 August 2012
I bought this to use with a birding scope as the original tripod I bought had too much play in the head to allow the scope to be set easily over long distances.
The Velbon 200R is sturdy, but not too heavy and the one touch pan head is really good (you can lock tilt and pan with one control) So far I have not been able to test over really long distances, but with just the scope (80mm diameter and 330mm long) it locks fine with no visible creep over distances of about 400m. Adding a camera introduces a small amount of creep but not much.

Overall I'm very pleased.
on 9 January 2014
This was bought as a gift.
I researched many tripods offered not only on the Amazon web site, and found that the specification was the best available for the budget.
I am a serious amateur photographer myself with many years experience so feel reasonably qualified to pass comment.
When the tripod arrived, I checked it and found the product description to be accurate and the quality extremely good. There were several reasons for choosing it. 1. was the ability to be able to remove the head and if neccessary change it for a diffrent type e.g. a ball and socket head; 2. It was sturdily constructed and had a good performance as regards the weight it could hold; 3. vertical column could be reversed for low level 'shooting'; 4. The leg locking mechanism worked very well, quick to release but held firmly when in the lock positions; 5. Spare quick release plates are easily available from many sources, which makes it even more useful, as they could be left on other cameras, longer lenses, etc., making interchangability quiclky achievable. Whilst there are lighter tripods available, this one is made of aluminium, the cost would have been prohibitive. I regard this tripod as very good value for money and suitable not only as a starting out tripod for one that is new to photography, but one which will last and be useful later as experience in the hobby is gained.
on 23 August 2012
I`ve been using this Tripod now for almost 6 months and i can`t find a thing wrong with it. it`s very tough and there`s no movement in the head when tightened which is what you want. I brought mine from a Photograhpy Shop so payed a lot more.
on 27 June 2013
Whenever possible, I prefer to buy from real shops - I'd be the first to complain if there were no proper bookshops, no proper hifi shops, no proper photographic shops, no proper CD/DVD shops. But then the problems begin - actually finding somewhere that sells what you want to buy. Which is where Amazon comes in!

I had been looking to buy a decent tripod to replace my lightweight one, which was and still is fine for a compact camera or for a lightweight SLR. But my Canon 5D with a long zoom and flashgun attached weighs in at over 2Kg. While I rarely have both the long lens and the flashgun attached at the same time, rarely is not never. So I wanted something with a maximum working load of much more, so that I could use it without it being wobbly or unstable when extended.

I am a keen amateur, with limited funds, so not in the market for a lightweight but very expensive carbon fibre tripod. I had been looking at various brands such as Manfrotto, Hahnel and Velbon but was drawn towards this Velbon by the combination of maximum height, maximum load, inclusion of a pan and tilt head within the competitive price.

For up to £10 more, I would have been happy to go into a shop, where one of the things you are paying for is the fact that they have bought the stock for you to go in and see it (whatever it is) before buying, and, in the right shop, they can give worthwhile advice. But £26 (45%) more was a bit too much. So I took the risk, bought via Amazon and kept the difference.

As to the tripod itself: it's excellent. Locks very securely at any angle with no movement. Feels very stable whether at its minimum height or fully extended. The leg locking clips feel quite sturdy and I have no concerns about them lasting. The pan and tilt head is well made and easy to use. Can be adjusted to move as loosely or as resistingly as you wish. The central column adjusts easily and locks in place exactly where you want it. The head has a quick release attachment which attaches to the underside of your camera, so the camera can be quickly fitted into the tripod or removed from it without faff.

I am 1m90 tall, and wanted a tripod that I could use without needing to stoop down. And this fits the bill very well - I can use it with camera attached without needing to raise the centre column to its full height. 1.9Kg with head attached is not insignificant, but nor is it a problem. For carrying it around I can easily replace the original pan and tilt head - it unscrews via a standard size fitting - with (another manufacturer's) ball head and save around 330g in weight (12oz), which is a worthwhile drop.

All in all, I'm very pleased with my purchase.
on 16 November 2013
I'm absolutely thrilled with this tripod. I think for the money, it's exceptional, and really I would have liked to have given this item 4.5 stars. There's a reason why I haven't gone for 5 stars though I don't think it would be too far from the truth if I had done.

It's sturdy, and gives an absolute feeling of - well, sturdiness, which of course is what you'd hope for in a tripod, but more than that, of quality and longevity. Of course, Velbon's reputation for quality, after-sales service and spares go a long way to reinforce this.

No bag, of course, and at this price, who can blame them? The only slight thing for me is that the head locks down with the single screw clamp. The fluid pan is remarkably smooth for this price point, but it just lacks a touch of that flexibility of the ehad that might get it 5. Of course, you can change the head later when you can afford it/require, and as is, as an independent low-budget filmmaker, I'm more than happy with it. It couldn't have been more what I'm after. I'm just explaining where the extra star went!

I'm also, btw, a big fan of the 'quick lock' action on the detachable plate when you re-attach the camera to the tripod.

A nice design job and brilliantly realised construction. Heartily and unequivocally recommended.
on 8 November 2012
I was most impressed with this tripod. It's reasonably light but also quite solid. It's pretty easy to set up and the tripod head is fairly easy to use. I've used it for a camera and it performed well (got some great photos of the northern lights) and I will also use it for a spotting scope.
on 14 February 2013
Received tripod in 2 days.Nice tall,sturdy tripod which works as described.Easy to use and not too heavy.Centre colomn is removable for bird hide use etc.Landscape to portrait position feels very stable on panning head.Using a Canon 600D DSLR with this and it is very stable.