on 10 June 2013
A handy book. I have been Vegan for about a month now, and I have found this book to be very useful. It provides tips on shopping and stocking your cupboards cheaply. I have spent the last few weeks trying to internalise the 'cooking basics' at the beginning of the book, after which I will go on to tackle some of the meals.

The cooking basics, by themselves, have totally revolutionised my shopping styles. I am no longer spending big on meat substitutes; just two bakes seitan loaves diced can keep in the freezer and provide enough for a whole months supply; I am also amazed at how great the 'cheezee sauce' tastes, and find it as versatile at the seitan. The Peanut Sauce is a perfect marinade for my tofu, and I can use the excess in a stirfy. I have also learned to make my own vegetable stock, by collecting my vegetable trimmings in a tub in the fridge throughout the week. The chocolate brownies were simple and definitely do the trick. You can make expensive vegan treats such as chocolate and fudge go a lot further, should you decide to add these.

I don't have many complaints for this book. The first, and most obvious is that it is American and therefore features product names that we don't use in the UK. Secondly, some of the ingredients, such as nutritional yeast and wheat gluten, I could not find in the shops and had to order online. However, these ingredients feature pro;lifically in vegan cooking, so this is something I guess I will have to get used to. The final complain I would like to make, is that the book is 'vegan', but not necessarily healthy or environmentally minded. I have gone through a lot of olive oil and soya sauce following these recipes, and the authors suggest using supermarkets, tinned foods and overlooking organic products and the potential dangers of pesticides. Having said that, it IS after all about living Vegan on a budget, and I suppose that a vegan on a low income needs to make certain compromises on the journey of veganism.

I would definitely recommend to clueless cooks, new vegans and/or people on low incomes. This book will help you on the way to becoming a creative vegan shopper and cook!
on 18 April 2014
I bought this book recently as I am trying to be vegan for the first time. I have tried 5 or 6 recipes so far (as well as numerous ones from other vegan cookbooks which were a bit hit and miss) but from here they were ALL so delicious, even impressed my meat eating partner and family. Whether you are vegan or veggie or meat eating BUY THIS BOOK! It contains really tasty, satisfying meals which are both easy to make and cheap. (You really wouldn't guess that they were made cheaply, I think it's a nice bonus of not eating meat.)

As it's American it's worth noting some product translations- Cilantro = coriander, Canola oil = rapeseed oil, Arugula = rocket, and tablespoon = dessert spoon. I am also planning to buy a 'cup' measurer as would help slightly, though I have managed fine so far. Don't let this put you off though, many of the recipes are simple with basic vegetables and beans and ingredients you probably have in your cupboard or can certainly get from your local supermarket. (Last nights' dish contained a tin of haricot or butter beans, new potatoes, 1 lemon, black olives, sun dried tomatoes, olive oil and salt and pepper)

It is a brilliant, interesting book filled with loads of great tips, ideas and excellent easy recipes. Highly recommended. Well worth the money. BUY IT, JUST BUY IT!
on 24 October 2017
This was great, it was in perfect condition, and the book is brilliant; I was very pleased with the book, and would definitely buy a book from the author again.
on 6 August 2017
my favorite vegan book, all recipes work out, even with American measurements.I make the Cincinnati chili recipe at least once a week.down side is that there are no pictures but the instructions are idiot proof
on 22 November 2017
A good book with fantastic recipes that I'd never have thought of using, but maybe a little out of date? Also in American dollars... and I'm from the UK. But I should have checked that before buying :)
on 20 January 2013
Bought this book for my daughter who has just gone Vegan.
Checked out other vegan cookery books this one came up the best.
Price wise Amazon was the best price and the recipes were easy to follow and very up to date.
Daughter is very fussy but was was very impressed.
on 27 December 2014
Good recipes, but heavily reliant on the use of beans which is not great for someone who doesnt like most beans- like me!
on 18 July 2015
no photos. disappointment.
on 20 April 2017
Good book
on 30 January 2013
Great recipies for if you are a vegan and like to cook, my sister loved this when I gave it to her for Christmas and her room mate hasn't stopped using it