on 16 May 2017
brilliant. Mark is a great writer and loads a good info, last season I grew plenty of veg based on this book, basically all went brilliantly, good buy if you are starting a veg patch
on 12 August 2017
Love this little book, straightforward advice. I have found this to be very helpful. As with the herb book , it's in excellent condition. Very happy customer.
on 16 March 2015
The best veg gardening book ever. I have a copy for myself and have bought this one for my sister who is getting into veg gardening. Its all about organic but the thing i like best about it is it actually inspires you to garden as well as being ultimately practical with guides on setting up your patch crop rotation when to plant and harvest stuff and all the details. Cant recommend this book enough. 5 years on I still use this all the time to plan my patch each year and try new things.
on 1 September 2009
As a novice veggie gardener what I really needed was someone knowledgeable who would stand by my shoulder and say things like "Now you'd be better off putting your beans over there...." or "Time to get your potatoes in..." To have all this PLUS a virtual adviser telling me how to cook my bounteous harvest is exactly what I get from this book.

It's informative, concise and a great size for putting in my coat pocket while outside. Couple this with a great price and you have a winner.

So if you, like me, have contented yourself to date with two courgette plants in a grow bag or a pot of chilis on the kitchen windowsill but would like to do more - go on! Take the plunge and get growing!

Angie
on 11 February 2018
Yes yes yes! All the information I have been after to start my veggie patch. Also a really pleasant read.
on 30 September 2017
A great book that is part of a wonderful and high quality of writing. A great read for anyone interested and the subject of growing and cooking vegetables.
on 23 April 2010
Simply laid out and beautifully illustrated. Almost pocket sized. A great book for the beginner with descriptions of vegetables arranged alphabetically, followed by instructions on how to create a vegetable patch, how to deal with common pests and diseases and a section with vegetable recipes. Some useful tips - soak your French bean seeds in water before planting etc. A great book. More simple and accessible than Carole Klein's BBC vegetable book.
on 3 July 2016
I've been sticking seeds into compost for a couple of years now and have no knowledge to hold me back from what I can and can't grow, so I sometimes find myself overwhelmed with plants not doing quite what I expect. There's useful information here that is light and enjoyable to read. Be warned though: there's no mention of marrows in it! I'm going to buy the River Cottage fruit book now.
on 15 June 2009
Well like Edible Seashore the Hugh Fearley-Whittingstall approach to publishing his various guru's work is a boon for me with VEG PATCH.
Although i've had a couple of Allotments in the past back down in my native Yorkshire...and currently waiting for one now in Scotland...this book of Mark Diacono is not just a great addition on my book shelf, but is going to be put to the test just as soon as a plot is handed over to me.
on 8 March 2018