Customer reviews

Vector Analysis and Cartesian Tensors, Third edition
Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 September 2017
I'm about a quarter of the way through it. It is a tough book to follow although the style of exercises after each short topic works, in my opinion. The detailed explanations in this book compared to more recent / modern books on the same topical are dated and can bog you down before the final point is understood. Hence, you need patience to get though this book but,it is an excellent text providing very good knowledge and enhanced skills once you get through the book chapter by chapter. I would recommend it to complement more modern texts.
on 14 April 2013
If you've tried to master Vector Analysis using a modern text such as Schaum's, you'll know how quickly it gets difficult when you reach Vector Differentiation and Differential Geometry.
This book (Bourne & Kendell) approaches the subject in a more unusual way via coordinate geometry. I found it extremely helpful and would recommend it for students facing the daunting tasks of Electromagnetism, Fluid Dynamics and such like.
It's currently out of print (publishers being publishers) but there are some very clean and inexpensive 2nd hand copies available.
on 20 March 2012
I bought this book to help with my first year undergraduate maths course, and it was extremely helpful. Concepts were introduced in a very clear way, and I had almost no issue understanding the concepts when they were introduced (as opposed to in lectures where things were often unclear!).

I was initially slightly confused with they way in which vectors were introduced as rotationally invariant objects, having already done a course in linear algebra and seeing them described as elements of a vector space. However, the reasoning became clear when tensors were introduced, since tensors are defined as higher dimensional, rotationally invariant objects (thus making it clear that vectors are just a one dimensional example of tensors).

It also had many worked examples to really get a feel for the material, along with some good, if basic, problems at the end of each. I would recommend this book for anyone interested in getting a good understanding and intuition of vector analysis.
on 26 April 2017
on 21 December 2010
I am extremely pleased with this book. My understanding of vector calculus had been quite sketchy and so I purchased this to bring me up to speed for my university (mathematics) course and this did the job perfectly. It contains everything you need, starting from the very basics, such as basis transformations and the Einstein summation convention all the way up to the big integral theorems, eg Stokes' Theorem. What I particularly liked about this book compared to my university notes was that it had plenty of examples, which, for me, are an indispensable tool for learning. It also contains answers to the exercises in the back, which we less confident individuals will always be grateful for. Can't imagine there being a better book on the market for my needs.