on 23 January 2015
This manual may work for mechanics and/or experts who know what they're doing, but the average car owner looking for step-by-step, foolproof instructions won't get much help from this manual. This is especially true for difficult jobs involving many steps and requiring absolute precision. The problem is there aren't enough pictures and details and so too much is left to chance, which increases the risk of damaging one's car and breaking the very parts one is trying to change/fix. One quick example from my own experience: in chapter 12, page 17, under "airbag system removal" (driver's airbag), step 2, the Haynes manual fails to specify that the screwdriver inserted into the two holes shown in picture 24.2b must be pushed AWAY from the steering wheel and not towards it. This step is not intuitive at all and one can easily end up bending the two spring retainers, if they're pushed in the wrong direction, thus making airbag removal impossible and creating a very expensive problem. Another common problem I ran into is removing the dreaded electrical connectors, which, especially after many years, become brittle and are very easy to break. As usual, this book is useless in failing to adequately explain how to remove them. Sorry, but reading "remove electrical connector" does me absolutely no good.

Unfortunately, this lack of depth and detailed explanations is all too common in this manual and, in fact, it's just one of many instances I came across. At the end of the day, this manual is incomplete, vague and sloppy and so useless for many purposes. I guess it'll work fairly well for basic jobs like changing the oil and filter and doing routine checks, but if you're considering more difficult and challenging jobs (like changing the timing belt and auxiliary drive belt), I'd recommend passing on this manual and instead purchasing the official Vauxhall/Opel workshop service manual (usually available for download in pdf format) which can be found online for a decent price through a simple google search. I have both and Haynes doesn't even come close to the thoroughness of the Vauxhall workshop manual. Also, it's often necessary to google instructions for the jobs you're attempting, which, once again, renders this manual all but useless.

For what it's worth, this is my two cents on the topic. My advice is to compare the two manuals to see which best meets your needs. Good luck on all your car repairs.
on 28 May 2010
Fine if you are an enthusiast, but really frustrating for the "average" user. Instructions to "release" this or "remove" that come without any explanation of HOW you release or remove them. I am about to give up on removing the headlight unit because a plug won't come off. Haynes don't even bother to explain how to remove the red retaining clip (which I worked out) let alone the subsequent step (which has defeated me).

I can't work out whether the absence of explanation is because the books are written by petrol-heads who don't imagine that anyone would need an explanation, or whether Haynes knowingly cut corners, on the basis that they have something of a monopoly here, so they can make a good living without trying too hard.
on 25 October 2011
what can i say i have done my service with this it totally explained everything i have also done my front and back brakes using this manual a must for any Astra owner
on 13 April 2011
This took a lot of research to locate, but I finally found it after an intensive search. Had to realize the UK model designations are different from their US counterparts, but under the hood it's all the same when you just need a maintenance manual. Great find!
on 1 June 2016
Haynes does not provide enough details especially images in most of it's instructions, have spent hours on projects that should have only taken 20 minutes. I'm not an expert but at the same time no amateur, I've taken apart the majority of a jaguar S type engine using a haynes manual but even then the use of google was required. I've given the manual 3 stars as the use of the manual or internet alone is no good, it is only when both are combined you are able to complete most tasks.
on 7 February 2016
Perfect, helped me fix my car. Shame the car is crap though.
on 10 December 2012
I have used these manuals in the past and found them very useful. You do need to know a bit about cars and be used to servicing them. If you don not have a little knowledge, then its a good idea to work with someone who has untill you get some experience.
on 18 June 2016
Lacks the accessibility of the old hardback version and the pictures are photocopier quality, not easy to view on all of them, the paper is also lower grade than I would expect from HAYNES. It does the job but the original quality isn't there, shame.
on 14 March 2010
You will soon make savings to the running costs of your car. Tackling some of the smaller jobs and letting you know which ones are better left to the dealer.Good book great price with free delivery.
on 27 September 2013
Manual up to usual standard. Third one I have had. Problem with this one is that my vauxhall proves to be a later model so there are some differences I.e., the engine and some electrical.