- Save 10% on Books for Schools offered by Amazon.co.uk when you purchase 10 or more of the same book. Here's how (terms and conditions apply) Enter code SCHOOLS2016 at checkout. Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
The Variational Principles of Mechanics (Dover Books on Physics) Paperback – 22 Sep 1986
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
*The book covers (roughly in order) variational calculus, virtual work, D'Alembert's principle, Lagrange's equations, the canonical equations & transformations, equations of Hamilton & Jacobi, relativistic mechanics and finally a historical survey.
*Lanczos is a remarkable writer, it is no wonder this book is considered a classic (albeit a lesser-known one.) A combination of an excellent writer and a fascinating topic.
*The style of the book is (somewhat) informal. He gives a more intuitive approach to most of the topics, including the motivation for each new concept, which is very enlightening (at least for myself.)
*Dover's catalogue describes this as a "philosophical" book. I would disagree with this - he dedicates perhaps three sections in total to the philosophical implications of the analytical method, and in one of those sections he states "...scientific treatises should avoid philosophical discussions, in the case of the variational principles, an exception to the rule may be tolerated..."
*This is not a book to use as a course textbook, more to "supplement" one's understanding.
the fields of Theoretical Physics,
Applied Mathematics and Numerical Algorithms.
In his lucid treatment of variational calculus Lanczos
conscisely sums up the ideas that form foundation
of the mathematical apparatus of contemporary fundamental physics. A must reading for any Graduate Student in
on good quality paper and bound in signatures so it will not split - they are hardbacks in disguise!
The book is a classic and needs no praise from me.
First, the author shown his far-reaching understanding between principles and their correlation to each others. More, the geometrical treatment for those principles on pure mathematical view is explained and described in very clear and beautiful manner. Last, the story behind those great achievement are represented and is quite helpful to learn the concepts and its reason with historical logic.
p.s I known the author from his outstanding work in approximation solution of eigenvalue problem in Finite element analysis.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Civil Engineering > Mechanics
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Education > Higher Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Engineering Physics
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Mechanical & Materials Engineering
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Education > Higher Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Physics > Mechanics
- Books > Science & Nature > Popular Science > Physics
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Physics > Mechanics