Customer reviews

on 29 May 2013
some good, some bad, some dire - I purchased the audio version. Some of the stories were quite good, particularly those by authors that have a good track record in paranormal/urban fantasy. Some were simply verging on boring. And some were awful - I particularly hate american authors who try to "do English/British voice". Really, if you haven't spent years in the country, associating with locals, listening to them & properly understanding the words, stop bloody pretending. Here's an example, straight from one of the stories in this collection: the word "w*nk" (I hate using * to try and obscure the word, but I think that Amazon may not publish the review with it in plain sight). The use throughout this story is simply that of someone who doesn't understand it. In Britain, one does not call someone a "w*nk", one uses the term "w*nker". The word "w*nk" is that of the act itself. It's exactly as if the author had his characters call each other "a masturbate." That particular story wa not quite enough to make me stop reading the whole collection, but it has happened in the past. I implore all writers who are not British/English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish (or, if they are, haven't spent a great deal of time "at home"), if they sincerely wish to write in that way to find a few good alpha & beta readers who _are_ to correct such misuse of words/idioms/dialects. I equally implore all editors, if they too are not native to the country that the author attempts to portray, to please have someone who is to run through the story to check whether an native reader is going to throw the book at the wall screaming about "stupid, lazy writers" who should "stick to their own sodding language". I'd offer my services, but I probably don't have the diplomatic skills to deal with delicate writerly egos ;)
VINE VOICEon 19 September 2011
One thing I love more than anything is stories about vampires so I thought this book would be well worth a read.

How wrong could I have been. There are one or two stories which I enjoyed but these were not strong enough to save all the other short stories in this anthology. I understand that these types of narrative are not meant to be fully descriptive, however, the author's should still have tried to attempt a connection with the reader.

If you are fanatical about vampires and own anything to do with them, then this is your book. If you want something with a bit more story behind it, look elsewhere.