Customer reviews

VHS Ate My Brain
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.16

on 13 September 2014
With the recent retro-revival trend currently sweeping through the VHS format I was a little worried that this might just be an attempt to appeal to hipster's eager to jumping on the bandwagon, thankfully Hawnt is without doubt a true VHS collector and film fanatic.
This honest memoir is a great insight into the world of VHS collecting which is just as easy to recommend to non-VHS collecting like myself as it is to those who are.
Admittedly it could do with another round of careful editing to remove a few minor errors such as repeated words, but it's really not at all distracting or worthy of taking away from the 5 star rating the book deserves.
on 13 August 2015
I can put up with the numerous needless typos and occasional inaccuracies (Simon Bates did the BBFC announcements -not Simon Mayo!). Unfortunately beyond that the writing is poor, the content is disorganised and what little discussion of specific films there is (not much) is vague and un-insightful. The whole thing reads like a collection of serviceable website articles.
on 29 August 2014
This was a great read, though I'm too young to really remember the highlights of the VHS rental era I'm a huge fan of those old genre films and this book gave me several to add to my 'must see' list.

Andrew Hawnt's stories of his times in video stores and preowned book shops hunting down VHS's are brilliant, both funny and nostalgic.

I would recommend this book to not only those who lived and lived the VHS rental era but anyone interested in it and the films.
on 13 August 2016
As someone who grew up in the 80s/90s, I have fond memories of standing in video shops and spending hours looking at the boxes to decide what I wanted to view.
This book does hit the nostalgia button occasionally, but my biggest issue with the book is the fact that either no one actually proofread or edited it.
There were so many spelling errors it was beyond annoying.
I applaud anyone who managed to get a book published on such a niche subject, but it bugged me that there were so many errors.
Another issue for me was the fact that it was supposed to be about VHS collectors, but there is a large portion of the book dedicated to the Video Nasties list. If you have an interest in old VHS, then you already know about these and they have already been covered elsewhere in much better detail. If you took this section out, the book would be incredibly short.
I expected to see more anecdotes and stories from other collectors, but this is almost shoehorned in at the end.
Nice nostalgia moments in places, but could have been so much better!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 October 2015
This is an Amazon printed book so occasionally there are font and spelling flaws but not very many so it doesn't spoil the read. It's a good read about the days of VHS and the ubiquitous video nasties are in there as well. Brought back some good memories. Thanks to the author for making the effort.
on 22 October 2015
This was like a trip down memory remembering VHS collecting , visiting car boots , charity shops etc . Also the corner shops with their rentals before Blockbusters monopolized . These were the good old days.
A book written with warmth & heart.
on 31 December 2016
I could relate to a lot of what Andrew Hawnt talked about in this book and many times throughout reading it I felt the warm glow of recognition that comes with finally finding out you weren't the only VHS Freak out there.However,it is a rather disappointing read in the sense that it talks thoroughly about the Authors interests and tips on how to begin collecting along with reference material but does not delve deep enough into the films that were out there back in the day.A few like Video Dead and Neon Maniacs are mentioned but I would have loved to see MUCH! more about VHS Movies and weird genre titles .Overall a decent read but I did find myself becoming distracted after a while.
on 28 August 2014
Reminded me of why VHS was so important and ground-changing back in those distant hazy days of the 80s; if you have a smidgen of love for bad films, big hair and, polished aor rock but this book.
on 14 August 2015
Really enjoyed this, I remember seeing horror vhs tapes in rental shops as a kid wondering what they were then discovering my uncle's horror vhs tapes. This book brought back great memories.
on 4 October 2014
passionate view of the vhs era. if you remember going to the video rental shop and searching through obscure trash titles this will bring back memomeries.