Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 May 2013
Whilst there are some good points in the book, it is nothing new if you have read The Kind Diet, The Lean, Skinny Bitch etc All of which encourage a vegan lifestyle as a long term commitment. There is a little too much time spent on calorie info and the Glycemic Index but some good info on processed food and why it should be avoided. Lots of recipes but all quite unusual.
on 26 September 2013
I first heard the author of the radio being interviewed an was intrigued, so bought the book. Very interesting concept. It took me a while to wonder what the author's diet was like before he did his VB6 Intervention. Was he Supersizing and carb-mining? I think this is a significant omission form the book as not knowing the 'before' it is difficult to decide how good the VB6 is in achieving the 'after', so to speak. the VB6 principle is v interesting, though I still think what I call 'insulin modulating' diets make more sense (e.g. low GI/GL with intermittent fasting). Bittmans's approach is however deeply ethical in a world of food heading for trouble and it is worth incorporating some of his principles even if you don't go the whole hog! if you will pardon the meaty expression that is. I thing his recipes deserve especial mention however. They are great and they work. His stocks, soups and stews are excellent. In fact his fisherman's stew is on the menu tonight (I did the veggie stock last night).
on 22 August 2013
I heard about this on R4 Food Programme & it sounded interesting & worth a shot. I have been an unenthusiastic meat eater nearly all my life & have had several forays into the vegetarian lifestyle but had always revertedto being a 'flexitarian'. I had never contemplated becoming a vegan as it all seemed too difficult & too dull but this seems a good option for me.

My total cholesterol is too high & I can't think that it's down to the amount of meat I eat but I do plead guilty to eating far too much dairy & vegetarianism seemed only likely to increase consumption - so, what to do? By becoming a part time vegan I have eliminated yogurt for breakfast, chunks of cheese for snacks, cream in soups, mayo on salads................ & all without having to eat horrible 'low fat' or 'fat free' products.

My VB6 is very flexible. Pizza Express for lunch yesterday with the grandchildren so I ate what I wanted & had a vegan soup in the evening, BBQ Sunday lunch, vegan at night but mostly I follow the rules & have no animal products before 6pm. Want a snack? Basically think nuts & not too many of them as not surprisingly white flour & sugar are also off limits as are 'mystery products' if you can't pronounce it & it has very little resemblence to any known food, you probably shouldn't be eating it.

I have made quite a few of the recipes & enjoyed them all in varying degrees, I am yet to love tofu but Mark Bittman is not shy with the salt & that perks things up a bit.

Importantly it's in Engish not American so no wondering what some of the ingredients might be

The weight loss is grindingly slow - 2lbs in 3 weeks but as I wasn't technically 'overweight' to start with perhaps that's to be expected. Anyway as the main reason for embarking on this was to improve my cholesterol I'm not overly bothered. It has reawakened my interest in vegetarianism & I have just bought 'How to Cook Everything Vegetarian' also by Mark Bittman
on 16 April 2015
Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything is my go-to guide for traditional recipes, so when I wanted to loose weight after having my second baby, I turned to VB6. I haven't read many diet books, but a big advantage of this one is that it is written by a chef and foodie. My two favourite things about this book are 1) The recipes make delicious food and 2) even when cooking light, Bittman refuses to skimp on the olive oil. (Who wants vegetables roasted in cooking spray? Not me!)

I gave this book four stars instead of five for two reasons: 1) As other reviewers have said, the nutritional background provided for the diet is a bit long, and not that well put together - remember, he's a chef and food reviewer, not a nutritionist. 2) If you actually followed the 28-day plan, you would be cooking for hours upon hours a day.
on 16 June 2013
Because the author is American there were some ingredients I had never heard of before. I expect the recipes could be adapted. He obviously likes cooking so perhaps this wouldn't suit kitchen phobics. A nice idea trying to be vegan before 6pm but it is quite hard to do without cheese and eggs as lunchtime fare, although he does offer some interesting alternatives. Luckily he is in favour of being flexible. I think it would suit people who are wondering about being vegan/vegetarian, and who really like cooking. There was a good section on nutrition at the beginning of the book.
on 22 July 2013
This book is more of a philosophy than a diet book - I like the thinking behind it and I have followed the principles which is working well but I would have liked more recipes and meal plans.
on 16 August 2013
The author is clearly passionate about the eating regime he has developed, and there are some good principles for healthy eating and useful recipes. I do feel the first part of the book could have been written more concisely (less is more!). A few well written pages would really get the message across and leave more room for recipes. Particularly like the recipes where he gives alternative options - shows how anyone can introduce more plant food into their daily life without committing to full vegan lifestyle.
on 24 June 2013
finally a diet I can stick to.I've always been good all day then not at night this book is for the likes of me
on 28 January 2016
This book is brilliant. I Especially like the recipes at the back. The hummus and stewed fruit recipe are very good. I am enjoying eating more plant based foods and tend to eat less diary and fish now. Has definitely made a difference to my weight and health. My skin also looks better! Definitely worth a try!
on 26 August 2013
I buy at least 2 diet books a year, and chose this one because the author like so many of my friends had been diagnosed with pre-diabetes and/ or was considered at high risk of falling I'll with diabetes 2. The twist in the tale is the author is also a food journalist and enjoys a night out.

The approach is refreshing, as often when men write diet books, they set out to find a solution that does not change their lives. So this book vegan before 6 is a new take on lowering your calorie intake.

After a strong start the book has a lot of American style recipes, but in fact you can take this diet without using any of these just by applying the principles. The diet works, and you feel healthier straight away. Cutting down to vegan food in daylight hours is very beneficial.

So yes, it's not a fad try it.