Format: DVD|Change

on 10 December 2013
I bought this for my grandmother for something to watch with her over Christmas as we are both downton abbey fans... I got hooked, loved it, really good series and we had it all watched in 2 weeks we liked it that much!
on 4 January 2013
I mistakenly ordered this thinking it was the original version. There was a lot of good acting, but there were only 6 episodes, so not a lot of material to get into. The beginning was confusing and unclear if you had not seen the earlier parts and the end was very abrupt. The story did not flow very well.
on 16 June 2014
I got this to help get me through the world cup weeks and I am half way through series 2 and losing the will to live - not to mention seriously thinking that football would actually be more exciting! This is awful. I'm sorry - there's a stellar cast - but the writing is the most hideous thing I've ever encountered. And I'm prepared to be taken away to the tower, but whoever had the idea of casting Anne Reid as a Cockney cook seriously needs to look for work in a different industry. Shame, because the only bit of decent writing is her occasional one-liners.

I love Keeley Hawes and she seems like a lovely person, but you can almost see the strain on her face trying to be so damn Nice the whole time, regardless of what happens. Ridiculous story lines.

The continuity is dreadful. After the boxing scene Spargo goes from a clean face immediately after the match to various red blotches on varying bits of his face for days afterwards. At one point Anne Reid goes up the stairs to enter the front door and the next take is of her entering the downstairs servants' quarters.....oh it goes on. The stories are just ridiculous and both Johnny and Spargo have had at least 2 personality transplants since the beginning of series one. I won't even begin to talk about the ridiculous sister who has just begun (spoiler alert just in case anyone cares) snogging her brother in law......well I suppose there's no one left to snog now the monkey's been written out (oopsie, another spoiler, sorry!.)

I've just put my star rating down from 2 to 1 after writing this - I'd given it 2 because I like some of the actors in it....but I think they need to take it off their CVs to be honest. What a load of rubbish. I've seen better writing in primary schools. Much better.
on 29 September 2013
Since I've seen Upstairs on television I've been in love with it! Lovely funny and entertaining characters, Wonderful costumes and the glamorous 1930's atmosphere really makes the whole show very unique. People keep comparing it to Downton (which I love as well) But it's a completely different kind of series story wise. Especially the second series is really good! Get it if you love Period dramas and 1930 music like I do! It's a shame the BBC cut the series!
on 8 January 2014
Here are the major weaknesses:
1. The acting is pretty good in the first season, but for some reason really falls flat in the second.
2. A lot of actors disappear in the second season, for instance the grandmother and the housekeeper; two central characters in the first season. Without these, the show falls flat in season 2.
3. The attempt to include world politics in the series really fails (e.g Ribbentrop and Hitler). The problem is that the author has created the dialogue with the benefit of hindsight. Thus, it happens that the leading male character is able to forecast everything about Hitler. This is a rather pathetic way to write a screenplay.
4. All the actors largely act and behave like modern people. This is plain silly. The author has probably done this so that the average viewer can "identify" with the characters. Sad that a chance to really understand people from the 1930s was totally wasted.
5. In season 2, one of the biggest themes is to save the Jews in Germany. Really, was everyone aware of the situation for the Jews in 1938? I don't think so. This is just very opportunistic content to sell the show to the US

My recommendation is to buy season 1 (three stars) and really skip season 2 (one star). Or don't bother at all. Maybe buy the original from the 1970s instead.
on 9 September 2012
" I thought I was infact going to get the original Upstairs Downstairs- with Mrs Bridges and the such like- so I watched with intrepidation at the later more up to date version, was very impressed and couldn't stop watching-
I felt the series 2 was even better than the series 1- superb acting, good as it gets with the lead-up to the 2nd World War.
If you liked Downtown Abbey- this will be a pleaser as well.
on 4 April 2014
Upstairs Downstairs is OK, but not nearly as good as Cranford. The characters (especially the younger sister) is super annoying, and the servants, well... I just don't think things happened quite that way.

Also, how do they look after that huge house with only a handful of servants?
on 23 July 2012
Really enjoyed this, not quite Downtown Abbey, but very enjoyable, disappointing there wont be another series, even my teenage son got into the last couple of episodes!
on 16 June 2015
Delighted with the DVD. Didn't see it when it was shown in 2010. First watched it on Netflix. This edition has a lot of scenes missing which is a shame. Much prefer the DVD. I Think it was a shame that it clashed with Downton Abbey but I think it is as good. It cover a different period of history so comparisons shouldn't be made. It is also a shame that Jean Marsh was not well enough to be included in the second series. Also it would have been nice to see a third series following the stories of the characters during the war. Otherwise delighted with the DVDs.
on 2 July 2012
I had some doubts with the two first episodes. The story and the actors were good but I was a bit disappointed with the (stage) set; almost only indoors sequences.
I was much more convinced with the next episodes where history play an important part. I was sorry that Eileen Atkins didn't play in the second serie because she's excellent and her character is one of the most interesting.
I should like to recommend this serie.