VINE VOICEon 13 November 2006
The Bellamy family and their loyal servants return for a 2nd series on this DVD set.
Elizabeth(Nicola Pagett)has married Lawrence Kirkbridge(Ian Oglivy)and had Rose(Jean Marsh)and new Man servant Thomas(John Alderton)living in their home.
John Alderton is great as Thomas,the highly cunning servant,who can go from the drop of a hat from easy going man to a very dark individual when crossed.
The Kirkbridge "marriage" dissolves very quickly as Lawrence never sleeps with Elisabeth and she ends up sleeping with a friend of Lawrence's and getting pregnant.
These early episodes in the season although good,make you impatient to get back to Eaton Place and Hudson,Mrs Bridges and Co.
Sarah (Pauline Collins)tells James (Simon Williams)she is pregnant in "Pair of Exiles" and when the news is broken to his parents,Lady Marjorie and Richard Bellamy(Rachel Gurney and David Langton)James is sent to India until the last episode of the season and Sarah is packed off to Southwold,the country estate of Lady Marjorie.
The most famous episode in the 2nd season and probably overall in "Upstairs Downstairs" is "Guest of Honour" when King Edward comes to dinner and in the same episode Sarah returns but loses the baby.
In "A Special Mischief",Rose is imprisoned when trying to stop Elizabeth from taking part in a suffragette act,the brutality of the prison is truely horrible.
Sarah and Thomas eventually pair up and in "Property of A Lady"they both con a rogue out to blackmail Lady Marjorie,due to some love letters from a dead lover and this episode is very similar to the things they both got up to the spinoff series "Thomas and Sarah" which started a few years after "Upstairs Downstairs" finished.
Another really enjoyable episode is "Your Obedient Servant" when Hudson pretends to be a businessman,to impress his successful brother and his family,who are visting London.
The series ends with the death of the King and Lady Marjorie making a comment that the young people will be alright,but all this is just a few years away from the horror of World War One.
Another great DVD from a classic television programme.
on 3 August 2017
Loved it
on 9 March 2012
Although I haven't watched the whole series yet, I have to say I was disappointed that the only subtitles available are in Danish. I've also found the sound variable and the actors' voices almost inaudible if they are not in the foreground. Having said that, the storylines equal the most gripping soap and the acting is first-class. The picture quality is good and, even if you miss having English subtitles, this set is very good value at £9.99.
on 29 April 2017
a great watch-thank you
on 24 October 2014
Goods delivered promptly and description correct. Many thanks.
on 12 March 2011
My mum used to watch this all the time when I was a kid, and back then I hated it. But now that I am somewhat older and my tastes have changed I decided to watch a few episodes of this on Cable TV. I was hooked and immediately purchased the first two series. I love history and the time period that the Upstairs Downstairs series covers is one of my favourite time periods.

The acting was superb, especially from Gordon Jackson as Mr Hudson, the butler. I loved the contrast between the formal "upstairs" and that of the "common" "downstairs", yet with Hudson trying to maintain a balance of the two. It was great seeing how the two different "worlds" lived yet integrated with one another; the one not being able to survive without the other.

This second series is as good as the first and we see a lot more of life outisde of 165 Eaton Place.

I can't wait to get the other 3 series.
on 21 October 2009
I enjoyed all five series of up/down as I call it. Social History as it was. I think it should be shown in schools to teach history in a more human context and not just textbooks fact and figures. I feel I understand my Grandmother better knowing what it was like as she was growing up, from the suffregette movement to the war and rationing etc. Excellent series.
The extras were a bit hit and miss, they hadn't read the scripts for the voice overs had they? But interesting to see them as they are now.
on 4 June 2015
I join the hoards in saying this is pure genius. I did not watch this when i was a child as it was on in a dead afternoon slot which to me said it all (kids!). I guess it was a rerun at that time. I bought it with some trepidation because I had enjoyed the bbc return episode but it took me ooooh about half an episode to become an addict. Wonderful, wonderful characterization particularly by the Downstairs crew. I believed in all of them, and cared very much about what happened to them all.
Some stories were gripping, while others were not. I thought the costumes were very 70s in choice of colors and designs. This is also very stagey and strong on dialogue (excellent dialogue by the way). I watched over a couple of weeks, a couple of episodes a night, which was mad but I was gripped by the characters and their interrelations. On top of all that, the production is filled with fascinating social commentary which you can pick up or miss as you choose. All in in all, a fitting member of the pantheon of TV greats!
on 18 January 2014
I remembered these from childhood and they are as good as ever. They do fine to fill in the yawning gap between series of Downton Abbey!
on 30 June 2015
If your a fan of upstairs downstairs this DVD is packaged well and good quality episodes