- Also check our best rated Travel Book reviews
Up and Over: A Trek Through Rugby League Land (Mainstream Sport) Paperback – 4 Aug 2005
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"'Literate, wonderfully vivid, funny, and offers a beautifully observedslice of sporting life and northern life' - Book of the Week, Sunday Times"
"'No review can do this entertaining work justice' - Book of the Week, The Independent"
"'A timely reminder of the game's unique appeal' - Books of the Year, The Guardian"
"'Quirky, culturally insightful and deeply passionate' - The Times" --This text refers to an alternate Paperback edition.
In the summer of 2003, Dave Hadfield, perhaps Britain's best-known writer on rugby league, set out on a 200-mile walk from Hull to Widnes, taking him through the heartlands of the game he loves. In the course of his meander, places he thought he knew already were revealed in a different light: from the Humber to the Mersey, he made fresh discoveries about the sport in which he has immersed himself and the landscape in which it has struggled and thrived.See all Product description
Top customer reviews
I've had to re-define my "favourite book" to "favourite books" so now I have two categories, fiction and non-fiction,and this is up there with Catch 22!
Some of the discriptions of the journey had me laughing out loud and in tears of nostalgia all at the same time
I can recommend "Up and Over" to anyone who has an affection for Rugby League and the people who play and watch the game at whatever level, and for anyone who just enjoys good writing.
Despite the reader only having a " passing " knowledge of the game and/or the area this is a wonderful book .
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Photography
- Books > Sports, Hobbies & Games > Football > European
- Books > Sports, Hobbies & Games > Rugby (Union & League) > League
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Countries & Regions > United Kingdom
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Speciality Travel > Adventure
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Speciality Travel > Photo Collections