on 19 April 2013
Having just gone into the airline industry, I could really relate to this book! Not only this, but part of the book is set in my hometown! It's a really easy read and the part I especially loved was the fact that the author included personal pictures at the end. It really helps you picture the story! A fantastic book!
on 19 May 2013
Definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys reading about airline industry and travel around the world. The author gives a fascinating insight into what it was really like to be a Pan Am stewardess back in the day, with so many interesting and amusing anecdotes. Its also an interesting journey through history, hearing first hand what many of the worlds most significant events were like, and how a young lady in the early 60's beat all the odds to fulfil her dream. I really didn't want it to end!
on 10 September 2013
Just finished this insightful, interesting and enjoyable book. Completed in about 2 days, very much a page turner.
Written very well, and Betty includes all necessary detail, without boring you with the unnecessary. Charters her full career with Pan Am in wonderful detail.
As previous Cabin Crew, I found the comparisons interesting to read and to only wish I flew during this era as i would still be doing it now!
A must read for anyone in the aviation industry or for anyone simply interested in aviation.
Enjoy.
on 16 May 2013
my wife said it sounded like book for women !! however i have really enjoyed reading this book and have found it hard to put down it is certainly worth the five stars i have given it
on 2 June 2014
I would recommend this one to all single ladies who loves to travel - in an age when most "girls" left school and married, Betty chose a different life for herself - and what a life! I toyed with the idea of becoming an "air hostess" but couldn't swim and wasn't about to learn either, being too scared of the water. Dreams of faraway travel in an era when only the rich could afford it, seeing the wonders of the world and how other people live, has a strong pull for some of us, whilst others are happy to return to the same place time and time again - hey, each to his (or her) own.

Betty fulfilled her dreams and this is a wonderful book to read. She has a lovely turn of phrase and engages you all the way. The world was a very different place in the late 50s/early 60s and she really gives insight into what was happening from a personal perspective, which is not what you get from news coverage of the time. She was there for so many important events, across the world, which was quite unique at that time for a "girl" from her background.

I found it very difficult to put this book down - reading through to 2.00 in the morning at one time. Buy this one - you won't regret it.
on 26 April 2013
As current crew remembering the pan am era it was great! Well recommended ESP for those who started/were flying whilst they were still operating.
on 29 July 2014
Loved this book ! Read it on the beach and it's a perfect holiday read with lots of anecdotes that reminded me of little bits from holidays & airport visits of my childhood in the 60's and 70's. Also ties in nicely with the TV series PanAm - if you liked that you'll enjoy this book although it stands alone as a very enjoyable book by a very likeable author. A great holiday read but good anytime - on the sofa on a rainy afternoon just as good as it will whisk you off to a gentler but exciting age & to places all over the world. And for holidays its a perfect light and uplifting read between heavier or darker choices of reading.
on 6 June 2013
A good book that takes one back to those yesteryears.I am the one who had seen those years though as a child . This is a highly nostalgic book. And I flew as passenger in those airlines mentioned in the book in my early twenties. Anyone into the history and developments of commercial airliners will love the book.
on 5 June 2014
I LOVED this book! I worked for British Oversease Airways Corporation for a year when I was in my teens, and I really envied the cabin crew - even considering applying for a job as Air Hostess myself!! Alas I never did, so Betty lived my dream for me! She and I are the same age, so her war memories as a child are very similar to mine. My husband and I flew to America when he was sent there for a year in 1976, and I remember how kind the PanAm hostess was to my two small children. A lovely book - thank you Betty!
on 2 February 2015
A really good book, it's a look back at a time when Jet travel was only for the rich and famouse, the golden age of the 60's.

Betty comes over as a really nice lady, who achieved her ambition of joining what was then the most elite airline.

Would recommend. .