Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.99

on 9 February 2014
Felt a bit overwhelmed by its length at first. Felt it was a bit repetitive in the first quarter & didn't really enjoy the stories therein but was for book club so needed to finish. So glad I persevered - what a fabulous yarn. Sorry it's ended. I would have liked to have read more about Jack & his dad's blossoming relationship.
on 16 June 2017
Gave up on this book. Unless you want a world tour of tattoo parlours don't bother!
on 13 January 2006
This is the only novel I have felt compelled to write a review of. Its impact upon me was profound and I have since re-read it. For such a huge novel, that is quite some undertaking.
This book is full of typical Irving-esque characters - wrestlers, tattooists, writers, not to mention an actor protagonist, Jack Burns. However, there is clearly something deeply personal in this book for the author here. The book is so vast simply because our experiences are so varied and compicated. Jack Burns emerges as a character with an psychological truth that is unprecedented in modern fiction. His memories and neuroses (maybe shared with the author?) dominate this book and each of the other characters is presented through his perceptions and experiences. Of course, this is how real life is for each of us. Everyone external to us can only be viewed subjectively and true 'objectivity' is actually impossible as long as we relate to others as humans. This is what Irving presents; a painfully real and limited human being who when confronted with agonising situations reacts in a pathetically human and limited way - just like all of us. If you find Jack an inexplicable or despicable character, you may get frustrated with this novel, but if you recognise him as a truthful portrayal of the product of an awkward and painful union of two real people you will be bowled over.
At the heart of this novel is a representation of family which has such love and empathy that it will braek your heart, if you have one. Certainly, no novel's climax has ever wrung such 'tears of blood' (Byron) from me. The psychological portrait of neurosis is incredibly accurate. It is possible that Irving has presented the reader with facts about himself wrung from years of self-analysis mixed with fiction. I can't theorise, but I can testify that he achieves a psychological truthfulness that is truly shocking to find in a novel.
Aside from this, there is enough eccentricity and weirdness to keep anyone laughing and satisfied. There are very few novels that I have made an impact on my emotional life rather than being some kind of cultural 'divertimento'. This is one of the few that have. (The other I can count on the fingers of one hand )
I have recommended this to everyone I am close to and none of them have failed to have been bowled over.
on 9 September 2005
John Irving's longest work to date tells the story of Jack Burns. His mother is a tattoist and his father an organist, addicted to music tattoos. It begins with Jack's recollections of his travels through northern Europe with his mother at the age of 4 in search of his absent father. In a strange mixture of hotels, tattoo shops and churches Irving paints a picture of Jack's early life and his perception of his parents. Jack and his mother apparently give up the trail and settle down in Canada with no sign of his absent father.
He attends an all-girls school which has just admitted its first boys and meets Emma Oastler, an older girl, who will become his closest friend. Even at an early age, his life is dominated by older women and Jack suffers abuse in a variety of ways. He finds his niche, acting in school drama productions, particularly excelling in female roles. Sent away to boarding school in the States, Jack feels rejected not only by his father but also his mother. Unable to find a lasting relationship, he moves to LA and eventually gets a break in acting.
Then two tragedies strike Jack's life. Bit by bit, Jack starts to piece together his past. He returns to Europe and discovers that the world is not always as it seems to a four year-old boy.
Irving has created a host of dysfunctional characters, with whom I am pleased to say I could sympathise. For me, this was a great improvement on A Widow For One Year. Despite its air of sadness, the author's usual wit and humour are as strong as usual. The story of Jack Burns in some ways reflects Irving's own personal life and although, he changed the narrative from first to third person, it is this personal connnection which makes it a very poignant novel; perhaps his best work for a number of years.
on 12 January 2008
Covering much ground, there were sections of the book I "learned" to quickly skim through...detailed descriptions of tattoos, descriptions of old Euro-church architecture, etc. Some may love these elaborations; it didn't mean much to me. Irving certainly seemed to enjoy telling us about them. But there was a point to it, I understand-- it was a part of these characters lives.

Without a doubt the book as a whole was intruiging. The story is rich with emotion and love and pain and injustice and struggle and loss and success. Just like life. And throughout every phase of Jack's life, as strange as it was at times, I really wanted everything to work out for him.
on 28 May 2011
I found this book way too long, which was a real disappointment because I usually enjoy John Irvings stuff. It started out well, with John Burns andd his mother looking for William his father. It had the usual amount of eccentric behaviuor from the main characters, wrestlers, tattoo artists, odd people!! but about half way through it started dragging on and on with way too much sex for a little boy to see and experience and behaviour that was weird to say the least.
Not one of my favourites I am afraid.
on 17 March 2014
I'll start by saying I love John Irving's books, A Prayer for Owen Meany is one of my favourite books and I love the Cider House Rules, The World according to Garp,Last Night in Twisted River and a Widow for one Year. HOWEVER Until I Find you is excruciatingly dull, banal, trivial and unbelievable with a cast of characters I cared absolutely nothing for. Jack Burns is a one-dimensional sleazebag, and there isn't an element of truth in any of the other characters. The first few hundred pages where Alice is following William through the tattoo parlours of Europe is cringe worthy and it doesn't improve from there. Perhaps Irving had a book deal where he had to produce something quickly, there is none of his usual craft, insight, sensitivity or humour in this book. If it was the first of his books I had read I doubt I would ever have picked up another of his.
on 3 May 2010
I am a huge fan of some of Irving's books. They grab you from the first moment and keep your attention throughout with idiosyncratic characters and slightly unreal situations. But this is not in the league of his best works.

It starts badly, with a tour of Northern Europe more in common with a travel itinerary than a work of fiction ("Look, I've been to these places and I'll prove it by describing them all in wordy tedium"). [As an aside, his foreign characters all either don't speak English at all, or speak it with such a superb grasp of colloquialisms that most native speakers would be put to shame! It says something about the lack of quality of the start of the book].

But persevere and Irving gets back to topics he can write about - New England, wrestling and sex. The rest of the novel has its ups and downs, the characters are generally too controlling or too controlled to come fully to life, and it certainly could have been much more wisely edited (it really is just too long). It was worth slogging through, but it was touch and go ...
on 30 March 2009
Irving sometimes produces novels that are a long and boring even though (like me) you'd want to find them gripping. I love Irving but I struggled finishing this one. The characters are difficult to relate to and rather cold with each other. One positive point though: I know a lot more about tatoos and I now know what a Rose of Jericho is.
on 16 January 2007
I am an Irving fan, but was dismayed by this book for the first 100 slow pages which left me turning each one thinking 'so what?' That is, until I caught by chance a documentary about Irving and this book in which he gives some personal background to the strange plot. I abandoned the heavy hardback several times anyway but came back to it because the characters and the feel of the book stick with you. Irving writes about some truly thought-provoking concepts that you have to really work to understand in this novel, but by the end you feel like you are half Jack and half Dr. Garcia (if you get to the end you'll know what I mean) and not inconsiderably changed for the experience.