An Unquiet Mind: A memoir of moods and madness Paperback – 5 Aug 2011
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'The writing is clear and beautiful, the descriptions accurate, the interior world she evokes is furiously alive. In the 16 years since An Unquiet Mind was first published, no greater book about manic depression - or bipolar disorder - has appeared.' --Observer
'An accessible account of a frightening illness we still don't fully understand' --The Herald
'This is a reissue of a powerful account of living with "manic depressive illness" ...a fascinating, harrowing description' --Guardian
An international bestseller and the definitive book on manic depressionSee all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
One year post diagnosis, I re-read it to discover it is somewhat oversimplistic in it's summary of the illness and consequent social, mental and pharmacological effects. It also possibly even over-confident in terms of the return to 'normality' one can hope to achieve, though I admit it is early days for me.
But by goodness, I needed it's message then, I still need it today from time to time, when the going gets tough. It is a good book, a good start. Don't make this the only book you read, but please make it one of them.
The sad truth is that no matter how good your doctors are or how understanding your family is, you feel as if no one really gets what's happening to you. "An Unquiet Mind" was recommended to me by a fellow manic depressive and listening to her was one of the best moves I've ever made. I was so relieved that someone else had a similar (no one's is ever the same) experience and more importantly had managed to come out the other side !!! What a moment of hope.
Without a doubt I would recommend that anyone who has depression of any form, or knows/lives with someone who has depression reads this book. It'll help stop the world from spinning out of control.
In short she has given me hope, for which I will be forever grateful.
This book genuinely helped me come to terms with my diagnosis. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who want to step into the shoes of someone dealing with bipolar or to gain piece of mind that bipolar needn't dictate you life.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I'm less than half way though this book but looking forward to reading the rest of it.
It's very good: 'real', knowledgeable, empathetic and very well written. Read more
Such an honest insight made all the more informative because of Kay's scientific knowledge and work as a Professor of Psychiatry. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Mrs Jennifer L Hope
Great read for any one affected by this illness.
I'm a doctor and realised that I'd never heard the lived experience before. Read more
I hadn't realised that it had recently gone into a second edition , which I would have preferred, as it was a gift for a relative. Otherwise fine.Published 5 months ago by D Goodman
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Medical, Legal & Social Sciences > Psychology
- Books > Biography > Social & Health Issues > Depression & Mental Health
- Books > Biography > Social & Health Issues > Living with Cancer & Other Illnesses
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Health Issues > Illnesses & Conditions > Mood Disorders
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Applied Psychology > Clinical Psychology
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Psychotherapy & Clinical Psychology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z