on 1 June 2017
I first read this book about 6 years ago and often return to it when I start to lose focus of what matters.

Jillian pulls no punches. But she is also not just a melange of sound-bites and mptivational quotes. She is considered and genuinely seems to care beyond just the sale and accolades of branching out from diet and fitness.

No matter where you are on your path to happy, you will benefit from reading this book.
on 16 June 2013
I'm a huge Jillian Michaels fan and completely idolise her, which I'll admit was my main reason for buying this book. I've never been one for 'self-help' books (to be honest I tend to think they're a load of twaddle) but I got the kindle sample of this to give it a try and loved it so I bought the whole thing! Since the book is written in a casual way it's easy to read and feels like Jillian is talking directly to you. She also includes plenty of examples to help you relate and understand what she's telling you.

The book is split up into 3 sections, exactly as the title suggests; imagine, believe, and achieve. Basically, you work through it figuring out what you want and need, building a belief that you can and will have it, and then following through to get it..

This book has helped me a great deal, including in ways I didn't even realise I needed help. I used to be a very confident and driven person, but over the last few years I've gotten caught up in the rat race of life and forgotten to take care of myself. This book has helped me to start looking out for me again. I've spent years moaning about my job, and talking about all these other things I'd much rather be doing but which I never felt I could because it wasn't the path in life I was on. This book helped me to assess what I want to do, helped me to realise that I can do it, I just needed to take the right steps (hey, people make career changes all the time), and I'm now taking actions to get me there. I've also started up again with a healthy diet and fitness regime so that I can get back my physical confidence I had when I was an athlete.

It's also changed my outlook and perception on life by helping me to understand people more, which in turn has made me feel more content and happy. It seems like such simple and obvious things once they are pointed out, but before reading this they weren't ever things I considered. For instance, when I was a kid I was big into sports and my Dad was so proud and always pushed me to do well. When I hit about 16 though it just felt like pressure and that I was doing it for him and not me, and so I lashed out. This book opened my eyes to the whole situation and I now understand why my dad did what he did. When he was young, my grandparents weren't very loving and supportive, and so as a adult my dad has made it a point not to be the kind of parent he'd had, and was trying to offer all the love and support he could, he just didn't realise that to me it felt like too much. Without sounding wishy washy, reading this book has brought me to peace with certain aspects of my life by giving me a deeper understanding of them. It does this by prompting you to drill down to the root of something because there is always a cause for a behaviour or action.

The key phrase which stays with me is "fate is preparation meeting opportunity". This resonated in me and has stuck. Beware though, if it does this with you, I now find it extremely frustrating when people just expect things to happen for them without them taking any action. Lol.

I recommend this whether you think you need it or not. I certainly didn't think I did, but having read it I now see that it was exactly what I needed. My eyes are open and I now feel like a much happier person.
on 22 March 2012
This is a very good book. However, if you are a self-help fan and have read a few books around the subject of self-improvement and having a better life etc it may not offer anything new to you.

I read the whole book, and liked it somewhat; her message is clear and the examples she gives are good,with stories mostly drawn from her own life. I found this interesting, particularly when she talks about the mistakes she made and the subsequent lessons. I think this is what kept me reading.

Jillian Michaels has obviously taken great care in producing a book that is well balanced with advice that is deceptively simple but effective. This is a quality book and I probably would have LOVED it if I had read it about 20 years ago, before reading anything else, and would have seen it as quite life changing then.
on 27 May 2011
Still working my way though this book but so far has been really good. Her enthusiasm really jumps out of the page and challenges your bad attitudes to yourself. Very Jillian!
on 7 September 2012
I have this book as an audiobook and a paperback. It is excellent, but my advice would be you have to be open to self help and self analysis. If you're a fan of Jillian's work out DVD's and her no nonsense style then you will enjoy this. I have read and listend to the book a few times and have gone back to certain chapeters when I have felt the need.
A worthwhile investment which has shown me how to take control of certain aspects of my life, has shown me how to be a more effective communicator and which has helped me break down my self imposed barriers to happiness.
on 26 March 2013
Nice read. She tells it like it is. Wise beyond her years. Have thoroughly enjoyed her straight talking tell it like it is.
on 10 January 2013
I bought this book because I admire Jillian's attitude on Biggest Loser. Like Bob on the show, she doesn't just address the workouts, but also the mental attitude & goes into what brought the contestants to the "state" (physically & mentally) that they are in.
This book is like having her coach you mentally one-to-one. I read the chapters, listening to her stories & advice, and have a notebook for working through the "assignments". It has really helped me focus on what I want for my life. Visualising my dreams & my potential, and to realise that the only person stopping me is me. When I approach a task, or am asked to do something, or that voice in my head is trying to guilt me into doing something someone else's way, I can refer to my notebook / step back & think about MY goals, and then with a clear conscience decide if it fits in with my goals & my desires. And if not, there's nothing to stop me saying no and refocusing on MY life plan.
I'm a work in progress, but I have to say this book is one of the best purchases towards reaching my happiness.
on 13 June 2011
Am also part way through this book, but it's the first time I've read anything by Jillian, and I am impressed. I often find myself reflecting on stuff I've read and I feel quite motivated to make some changes. I'm currently working out to a couple of her DVDs and am generally finding her inspirational. I like her straight talking and honest approach.
on 29 August 2011
I'm a great fan of Jillian Michaels after watching a couple of series of the Biggest Loser USA. This woman gets results!
I have a fair selection of self help books which havn't really achieved the desired results so opted for this one from someone who is very motivating. I opted for the audio cds and have been listening to them in the car. I would really recommend this as you can combine it with car journeys and you have the benefit of Jillian talking directly to you.
Definately recommend as great value for money (7 audio cds)and i really expect it to inspire me to change my life.
on 3 February 2013
This item came very quickly im still in the process of reading it but it seems a good book so far